Outdoor Enclosure Covering Idea

akbecker

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Thornton, CO
I have, and will add pictures of this weekend, an outdoor enclosure for a Russian tortoise. However, I was trying to make this one more eye catching than my square wood one. So, I've created an ice-cream cone shape using where the two fences meet at the corner and then used retaining-wall-stones to make a curved outer wall for the perimeter. Kind of like <) almost. For my other square enclosure, I used very similar to other ones posted here, 2x4s with wiring that sit on top of the enclosure. My issue now is how to deal with the curvature portion of the enclosure. I also saw the example with the metal fence posts and then I think I person used bird netting around and then above to keep owls and hawks away. Any other ideas? I have a forsythia growing in there, so the bush stands higher than the surrounding retainer-wall...

Has anyone experimented with a sardine-can like top. Almost a metal wiring that could be rolled backwards when you wanted to get into the enclosure?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
That sounds interesting, but I don't know of any product like that.
You could create a PVC frame (you may know this, but PVC bends when heated).
It sounds very interesting, looking forward to pics!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Perhaps a center post that is a touch taller than the bush and then drape the bird netting you referenced from that high point to the enclosure walls..kinda like a big top...then if you want to gain access to the tort you can simply roll the netting back? I have not done this so I am only imagining from what you have detailed :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Look forward to seeing the pictures of what you have done. Your wanting something to keep other animals out rather then worrying about keeping your tortoise in, is that correct?

akbecker

5 Year Member
Thornton, CO
Yes - the enclosure is deep, so I just need to make sure dogs, raccoons, or foxes are somewhat dissuaded. The post in the middle with the netting draped isn't a bad idea. I might try that and see how it goes.
Thanks!

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
I cover my outdoor enclosure in this manner. It's an odd shape, basically a backwards ice cream cone. I put posts a foot taller than the enclosure walls in a triangle and staple gunned a layer of metal chicken and industrial mesh cut so it draped over the posts, covering the entire enclosure and some on the ground as well that i put rocks on. On the perimeter walls i have hooks that i hook the mesh into as well. When i need to access it i roll it to the back wall like a sardine can where i have more hooks to hold it in place.

This is before i added the second layer of chicken wire.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
Oh and those are sticks not posts.... This was my trial time, haha. I replaced them with short wooden fence posts that have a large diameter so the mesh doesn't rip.

akbecker

5 Year Member
Thornton, CO
Thanks - that is helpful. See below for my enclosure. I think that type of chicken wire might work. Bummer there isn't something more appealing that would work for a lid.

The water dish and other hide are hiding behind the forsythia in this picture. I still need to plant the Echinacea, Johnny Jump-ups, and Squash - just waiting for the weather to be warmer. I also have seeds for hollyhocks and some other edibles. The grassy area is seeded with the Caroline Supply Russian Tortoise mix. Vladimir is the corner to the right of the rock hide in the picture - it was warm enough yesterday to get him out for a couple hours of sun.

20140514_120104.jpg