Outdoor enclosure for a RF in the desert: is it possible?

jockma

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles County
I'd love to build an outdoor enclosure for my redfoot. Chances are it would have to be an ""outdoor"" enclosure with the same set-up as an indoor enclosure (that just happens to be outside) because it is bone-dry out there.

So here's my question...has anyone in a dry climate tried it? Here's the better question: has anyone in a dry climate tried it with SUCCESS? :p

I'm thinking of building a "cottage" of sorts where I can keep the humidity above 80% at all times (a greenhouse, basically) with a dog door or something similar for him to walk in and out of to graze in the fenced yard and sunbathe as he pleases without releasing all the humidity into this unrelenting desert I call home.

I'm curious to know if anyone has attempted an RF outdoor enclosure in a dry climate, because this is something I'd love to do for him. I wouldn't attempt it if I wouldn't be able to meet his needs with an outdoor setup, though.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I have never tried this but I don't see why it couldn't be done. Basically, you would have to put in some sort of substrate that holds moisture well, provide lots of water, maybe a misting system or a sprinkler, and lots of vegetation and shade.
I don't have red flats and don't know how much room they really need but I bet you could not maintain a decent size enclosure with the parameters they require. You can technically keep any tortoise anywhere if you have the time, money, and know how to build what they need.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
Ooooh, that is encouraging to say the least.

I like to add ramps and "second stories" to his enclosures because they can double as a humid hide with some adjustments and they give him more space to romp around in (and climb, he loves to climb. An RF that loves to climb? Who woulda thought?!), and lots of plants is always a must. Sounds like everything I can do indoors but 10x better. I'd REALLY like for him to be able to walk out into the yard whenever he wants, though, but I'm afraid he'd prefer this over being in the humid enclosure/greenhouse and break his smooth new growth streak due to the abysmal humidity levels outside. We're still mid-drought so a sprinkler system may not be possible (well it is possible, but not without the judgment and hostility of my neighbors. My neighbors are mean.)

If I can't implement a sprinkler system for the yard, I guess I could make the top of the enclosure out of greenhouse glass. Not sure if that would get him enough UVB, though.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't see why it couldn't be done. Where I live would be a desert if it weren't for hoses and water. I didn't add anything to my soil. I just planted clover and dichondra, installed an overhead misting system, put in a wading pool and added the tortoises. They have a shed they retreat into, and you can provide whatever moisture inside the shed that's required. I run a sprinkler for their yard once a week - a deep watering - then on real hot days, I turn on the misting system.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I've never lived in a really hot climate but wouldn't a greenhouse just make it worse? I wouldn't want to block any of the UVB with anything the plants :) I think trying to adapt the entire yard for your tortoise would be a problem but I think you could do a good-sized area without too many issues and not so much water that your neighbors would complain. It does get hot here in the summer but many people I know have made very comfortable areas in their backyard that are lush and green.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
Most of my yard is concrete (I live in LA county! What can I say :p ) so the enclosure would have to be built on top of the concrete, add substrate, and open out into the little yard. The non-concrete yard itself is only about 6'x4' and I would put a fence around it to keep him from getting into any shenanigans.

I thought "greenhouse" because they get quite humid. It's only really hot here in the summer, in my opinion as a desert-dweller for my whole life, so I could probably keep him in his indoor enclosure when it's unsuitable for him to be outside. He's a rescue with bad pyramiding so I'm obsessed with humidity and keeping his new growth smooth.