Outdoor enclosure for my marginated tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

chelonologist

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, California
I just started work on an outdoor enclosure for my new marginated tortoises. Right now it's just the skeleton: a frame made of redwood 2x4s resting on a foundation of 6x8x16 cinder blocks that have been sunk into the ground. Hopefully the bricks will discourage the tortoises from digging out. I'll post more photos as the project progresses.

Marginated-enclosure01.jpg

wayne.bob

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
iowa
that looks really nice!!!!! once its done your torts will be so happy

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What a good idea with the cinderblocks! I'll bet it was pretty hard to get them level! What are you going to use for the sides? I used cinderblocks too, as the "bottom board" of my fence, but I didn't sink them any deeper than an inch or two...just enough to level out the dirt. This is a picture of the Aldabran pen during re-construction:

step5-2.jpg

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Your skeleton for your Marginated tortoise pen looks great. Love that you used cinder bricks to sink down to discourage digging. Did you fasten the enclosure wood to the brick or is it sitting on top? I would think it would be heavy enough to not have to be fixed to the block. How high is your frame. Michael it looks great. can't wait for more pics.

Yvonne, sinking block takes lots of digging. Your pen looks like it would take a LOT of digging. Guess you could rent a trench digger for larger jobs. I am just not as young as I used to be and digging tends to put me out of commission for some time these days. Love that you planted cactus in your blocks.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Looking good - can't wait to see it finished!!!

chelonologist

10 Year Member!
Redlands, California
Things are progressing nicely. Last night I finished the predator-proof screen door on top of the enclosure:

Marginated-enclosure02.jpg

Then today I finished the sides using redwood fence boards:

Marginated-enclosure03.jpg

Marginated-enclosure04.jpg

Tomorrow I'll do a little 'interior design' work using small boulders and cobbles to fashion a cave for a hide. Once that's done I'll use redwood fence boards to top off the roof of the enclosure. Looks like I may be able to bring the tortoises home from my office soon!

Oh, the dimensions of the enclosure are 8 ft x 6 ft x 18 inches high. And by using redwood fence boards (which drove up the cost a bit), the enclosure matches the new fence around my backyard, making it feel like it's a natural part of the yard.

chelonologist

10 Year Member!
Redlands, California
Oh yeah, almost forgot, Robyn. I plan to attach the wooden frame to the cinder blocks to keep it from sliding off the foundation. We get a number of predators in the yard, including skunks, raccoons, coyotes, bobcats, and even black bears, and I don't want them to slide the enclosure off the base to get access. I think wire might actually do the trick.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Looks great Michael. Thanks for answering my question of attaching it to the foundation. Now I do have one more question. You are using Redwood. I know that we do not usually use conifers, Pine, ceder etc with torts but is Redwood not a conifer. Does it not have the same problems as other conifers? Just wandering. Incase you want to place some other kind of wood inside so they are not exposed to the Redwood if it is a problem. Inquireing minds, you know.

chelonologist

10 Year Member!
Redlands, California
Good point, Robyn. Redwood is indeed a conifer and contains aromatic oils that - like cedar (for sure) and pine (maybe) - could potentially cause respiratory and skin irritation. Fortunately, redwood falls more toward pine with respect to the amount and toxicity of the oils. Furthermore, the studies that have looked at the effects of softwood bedding on pets were conducted in a setting where the animals received no ventilation, such as in an aquarium. In an outdoor setting in an enclosure with plenty of ventilation, the aromatic oils will have little or no effect. I'd even argue that as the wood dries (which should only take a couple of weeks in the hot southern California summer sun), the emission of oils from the wood will drop significantly, thereby not posing a threat to my little marginated tortoises.

Thanks for pointing that out. What I'll do is make sure the wood is good and dry before putting the babies in there.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
chelonologist said:
the studies that have looked at the effects of softwood bedding on pets were conducted in a setting where the animals received no ventilation, such as in an aquarium. In an outdoor setting in an enclosure with plenty of ventilation, the aromatic oils will have little or no effect. I'd even argue that as the wood dries (which should only take a couple of weeks in the hot southern California summer sun), the emission of oils from the wood will drop significantly, thereby not posing a threat to my little marginated tortoises.

I know some people who have even used redwood hides made from old redwood fences and had no problems at all. I was given one of those hides but wasn't sure if I should use it or not but what you said said make perfect sense, and is good to know, now I can put it to use.
Thanks Michael

chelonologist

10 Year Member!
Redlands, California
I finished the enclosure last night:

Marginated-enclosure05.jpg

Marginated-enclosure06.jpg

Here's a view of the inside. I made a rock cave for the little guys to hide in:

Marginated-enclosure07.jpg

I can't wait to put them in their new home!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Very, very nice!! And I double dare that old raccoon or fox to get in there!

Yvonne

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Wow - looks great! They are going to love it!!

KQ6AR

10 Year Member!
Concord, CA
Hi,

I'd have to agree, since you're using it for walls & not bedding I don't see how it could be a problem.
Very nice enclosure.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It does look great Michael. :D I though would have done wire on the other side of the top, as you can never have to much sun. :D

Danny

chelonologist

10 Year Member!
Redlands, California
egyptiandan said:
It does look great Michael. :D I though would have done wire on the other side of the top, as you can never have to much sun. :D

Danny

I was actually planning to modify the top later, but for now I'm a little paranoid about cooking little tortoises in the hot southern California sun. As they get a little older and more comfortable in thermoregulating in this new enclosure, I plan to screen about another quarter of the top.

chelonologist

10 Year Member!
Redlands, California
And - finally - here are the little guys enjoying their new home:

Archimedes:
Archimedes.jpg

Aristarchus:
Aristarcus.jpg

Not surprisingly, they're spending lots of time picking little things out of the dirt to eat, and they've quickly reverted to a 'wild' state, running from me when I come to check on them. It's funny what fresh air and sunshine will do to an animal.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
it looks great, michael! did you draw up plans before you started or did you just slap it all together? i like the redwood, the color is so nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.