Outdoor Enclosure for smaller Greek tortoise.

HAMPS77

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Freedom Pennsylvania
Hello! I have built this outside box for my tomatoes, but it seems like the perfect size for my smaller Greek tortoise, tank. I would obviously remove the tomato plants. However, I put a hide in some hostas in there to try and get an idea of what it could look like. Let me know what you guys think :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 9

Grace-Sophia

Texas
Hello there,
We first will need a bit more information. Can you please tell us how old your tortoise is and how big he is, as well as the size of this box. Even though he might be small, it’s always important for tortoises to have the maximum amount of room that they can. If it’s the correct size, this could quite possibly make for a good tortoise enclosure as long as it’s getting the right amount of light and UV rays, you would also need to add a protection barrier to it to protect from predators, like a fence or chicken wire.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello! I have built this outside box for my tomatoes, but it seems like the perfect size for my smaller Greek tortoise, tank. I would obviously remove the tomato plants. However, I put a hide in some hostas in there to try and get an idea of what it could look like. Let me know what you guys think :)
This could work.

-What size is the tortoise and what size is the planter?
-You'd have to be careful about what soil/dirt you'd use in it. No sand, no perlite, no fertilizers, etc...
-The sides look a little low. I'd want taller sides with an over hang and capped corners to prevent escape.

Grace-Sophia

Texas
This could work.

-You'd have to be careful about what soil/dirt you'd use in it. No sand, no perlite, no fertilizers, etc...
-The sides look a little low. I'd want taller sides with an over hang and capped corners to prevent escape.
Agreed 👍

HAMPS77

5 Year Member
New Freedom Pennsylvania
This could work.

The tor
This could work.

My little guy is no bigger than the size of my hand. The planter is about 4 1/2 feet long by 3 1/2 feet wide. It also goes about 4 feet deep while enclosed on all sides so plenty of room for burrowing. No fertilizers whatsoever, this dirt was moved from another garden I’ve had, all organic. The sides are about a foot tall, considering the size of him there’s little to no chance he escapes at his size. Only thing I’m worried about is birds really.

Grace-Sophia

Texas
The tor

My little guy is no bigger than the size of my hand. The planter is about 4 1/2 feet long by 3 1/2 feet wide. It also goes about 4 feet deep while enclosed on all sides so plenty of room for burrowing. No fertilizers whatsoever, this dirt was moved from another garden I’ve had, all organic. The sides are about a foot tall, considering the size of him there’s little to no chance he escapes at his size. Only thing I’m worried about is birds really.
how big is your hand?? 😂

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My little guy is no bigger than the size of my hand.
Unfortunately, that doesn't tell me much since I have no measurement of the size of your hand. Do you have a weight in grams? Or a length?

I ask because 4.5x3.5 is too small for an adult, but fine for a baby.

HAMPS77

5 Year Member
New Freedom Pennsylvania
Unfortunately, that doesn't tell me much since I have no measurement of the size of your hand. Do you have a weight in grams? Or a length?

I ask because 4.5x3.5 is too small for an adult, but fine for a bab

HAHAHA, sorry I should’ve expected you wouldn’t know the size of my hand. Anyway, I’m at work so I cant take a picture of him. Hes about a year and a half old. He hasn’t sprouted Much yet but I’m expecting him to grow a lot this summer since I can have him out in the sunshine. I’d say he’s about roughly 4 inches long, could easily be picked up by a bird. I’m working on building his permanent enclosure for when he’s fully grown down the line, it’s going to be a 12x12 setup, but I’m too worried to put him out in that one now.

Reactions: Tom

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
It would be very beneficial to know what type of Greek tortoise you have when designing an enclosure. There are many subspecies and some have differing care needs (especially the ones from North Africa). The adult sizes are also very different. If you don’t know which subspecies, post pics and let us know when/where you bought it and it may be possible to identify.

HAMPS77

5 Year Member
New Freedom Pennsylvania
It would be very beneficial to know what type of Greek tortoise you have when designing an enclosure. There are many subspecies and some have differing care needs (especially the ones from North Africa). The adult sizes are also very different. If you don’t know which subspecies, post pics and let us know when/where you bought it and it may be possible to identify.
It’s a golden Greek tortoise.