Outdoor enclosure for uk temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsmeshell

5 Year Member
Hi

I work on a small petting farm and we have a leopard called Speedy she is about 15cm big and at the minute lives inside but i know she is gonna need a much bigger outside enclosure. Im hoping she will be able to stay in this all year round. do you think this is possible in the North East of England?
I was thinking of Toms outdoor heated box do you think this would be ideal?
Would it need some type of green house attaching to it?

Is there any other Uk forum members who keep their leopards outside?

Any ideas advice welcome

Thanks

Shell

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
There are a lot of leopard keepers in the UK and many do get outdoors from time to time. There's a lot of different variations and ideas out there for outdoor enclosures in cooler weather. The important thing is to provide an area where they can elevate their body temperature to around 35C. Perhaps some sort of hybrid outdoor enclosure with easy access to a controlled area where the tortoise can warm up if it needs to.

What are your ideas so far?

itsmeshell

5 Year Member
I was thinking of an outdoor insulated shed/hut with a mini greenhouse attached to it so she can go in and out whenever she likes during the day and just get shut in on a night

Bearder2006

5 Year Member
Hi I live in the UK and I've just had made a new house for mine outside I will post some pics when I pick it up might give u a few Ideas ? I'm just looking at what I should heat it with at the moment
But she won't be going out till the winter has gone now

itsmeshell

5 Year Member
Thanks that wud b great I no some people use them portable oil heaters in them

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
I live in Manchester and mine only ever goes outside on the hottest of days. Would be good to hear how you get on and what you use :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I look at a lot of UK sites because the PNW has similar weather, at least to the climate in the Southern half.

My take is that the heated shed or hide to small greenhouse to outdoor run works well. Or heated hide within greenhouse to outdoor run.
If the shed is insulated, it is much easier to heat than the greenhouse. But the GH is lighter/brighter and extends the season on either end of summer, and plants grow in it, so there are advantages to having both.
It does take a lot of effort to keep a warm weather tort outside in cooler climates!

If the shed is a walk in shed, you could keep the tort there over the winter and create a smaller enclosure within it.
However, with the cost of heating, perhaps keeping your tort inside the house for Nov/December through February (more or less) and outside the rest of the year with the above set up?

itsmeshell

5 Year Member
The only other place is inside the barn as its on a farm and inside there isn't very warm so she would have to be in a viv and it's getting one big enough for her

Status
Not open for further replies.