outdoor enclosure - hermann's

Jazzbell772

I have a baby tortoise that is currently in a 10 gallon tank and I really want to start building an outdoor enclosure. She will be the only tortoise so I was told about 10 inches is her max. I am located in Louisiana. The enclosure needs to be off the ground...due to constant flooding in my yard...and I don't want it to be a walk-in one but rather just something I can reach into. I'm unsure of size. I have seen so many pictures online but I want more pics for inspiration. Also, can she go outside now? The weather has been about 70 degrees. Do people put basking lights outside? Something for heat or just assuming the weather will stay nice? How about humidity? What happens if we get a full day of rain? I basically need the top things to include in an outdoor enclosure and things to think about. Please provide pics and any and all information that you have!

Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A baby should only go outside if you can protect it from the wind. 70 with sunshine and shade provided should s/he need it would be fine for a 1/2 to 1 hour. Right now you should also be working on a bigger indoor enclosure. A ten gallon is not really big enough for any hatchling. Also, take a look at the enclosure thread and even in some of Toms threads, he shows a pic of his plant growing tables. One of those would work for an outdoor enclosure too.