Outdoor enclosure inside a pool screen - enough UV?

bdy22

Location (City and/or State)
St. Petersburg, FL
I live in Florida. My Russian tortoise has an indoor enclosure, with heat lamp and UV lamp, and is doing very well. We just recently had a pool put in; it's in a screen enclosure with lots of extra room. I've been wanting to build an outdoor enclosure for my tortoise (for daytime) and there's plenty of room off to one side inside the screen, well away from the pool itself. My question: Will he get enough natural sunlight, and the proper UV, with the screened enclosure overhead? I like the idea of building it inside the screen, for safety's sake, but I'm wondering if the benefits for him will be enough.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I live in Florida. My Russian tortoise has an indoor enclosure, with heat lamp and UV lamp, and is doing very well. We just recently had a pool put in; it's in a screen enclosure with lots of extra room. I've been wanting to build an outdoor enclosure for my tortoise (for daytime) and there's plenty of room off to one side inside the screen, well away from the pool itself. My question: Will he get enough natural sunlight, and the proper UV, with the screened enclosure overhead? I like the idea of building it inside the screen, for safety's sake, but I'm wondering if the benefits for him will be enough.
In Florida I'd say yes. And especially if your tort can also get out into the yard every now and then.
The UV level stays pretty high most of the year here

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Only a UV meter can answer this question. Solarmeter 6.5. If you don['t want to buy one, maybe a friend or local reptile shop can loan you one for a day? Winter UV will be much lower than summer UV outside.