Outdoor enclosure- need opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
FL
I'm currently debating between buying a kiddie pool for Nelson for his outdoor enclosure, or sectioning off part of my yard.
I like the kiddie pool because I can put it on my 2nd story deck/balcony and be able to keep an eye on him better...but if I section off part of my yard, he could have a bigger area.

This is the area I'm considering- my only concern is that it doesn't get enough direct sunlight since it's on the side of my house.
The dirt area is 8 ft x 2 ft, but of course I could change the shape/dimensions.
IMG_1568.jpg

I would use cinder blocks to section off the area, but I would want to create some sort of cover for it...ideas? I was thinking a chicken wire frame or something similar. It doesn't have to lock or be incredibly sturdy...I would still bring him in at night but I worry about my neighbor's little dogs that tend to wander unattended :rolleyes:

There are day lilies and daffodils in there that I would pull out/transplant.
I would add new dirt or cypress mulch. There are too many little rocks that he could (and would) eat!
IMG_1582.jpg

He's in the left corner...trying to eat a rock
IMG_1585.jpg

IMG_1595.jpg

I would appreciate any thoughts, opinions, suggestions!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, any outside is great, but if it were me, I would opt for the outside where you could build it in the grass. You could just put up some cinderblocks around that area, staple a piece of pond netting to the wood (compost pile??) and drape it over the cinder blocks. If you weight the draped end, it won't fall back into the little habitat. Pond netting keeps birds out of your pond, but has spaces big enough that sun shines right through.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
You could leave the daylilies, but lose the daffodils. As long as there's a couple hours of sun, that's probably ok. If your dimensions were more like 4x8, you could have 1/2 grass and 1/2 "rough". I'm just finishing a new pen, it's a good project.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I added chicken wire on top of Hermy's outside enclosure last year because we have a lot of birds, squirrels and all kind of small wild animals that comes in our yard but I never left him outside during the night. When does the sun is in the place you want to make his enclosure, in the AM or afternoon?
I am sure you are going to make him a beautiful outside enclosure :) I cant wait to see it!

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Hmm maybe I will leave one of the day lily plants in there then. I'll have to pay attention to what time that part of the house gets the most sunlight.
Isa- the birds and squirrels are my main concern too (besides my neighbor's dogs.)
I will look into chicken wire and pond netting.
Thanks everyone!

Oh and Yvonne- that's not a compost pile. Just a weird little area that the people who lived here before us created...clearly not landscapers ;) Here's a different angle:
IMG_1570.jpg

I was considering housing him there but it barely gets direct sunlight. In the spring it will be full of day lilies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Honestly, I'd do both. I find each method convenient at different times. The kiddie pool also gives you the option of having somewhere to put him when you work on the outdoor enclosure or just have a short while to put him out and you don't want to go all the way downstairs or leave him unattended. I generally prefer the ground enclosures for more stable/lower summertime temps and they grow lots of good weeds for grazing and cover.

Both styles have their merits and I use both.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Tom said:
Honestly, I'd do both. I find each method convenient at different times. The kiddie pool also gives you the option of having somewhere to put him when you work on the outdoor enclosure or just have a short while to put him out and you don't want to go all the way downstairs or leave him unattended. I generally prefer the ground enclosures for more stable/lower summertime temps and they grow lots of good weeds for grazing and cover.

Both styles have their merits and I use both.

Now why didn't I think of that?! Thanks!

honu

5 Year Member
Maybe you could put some grass in it and make the enclosure higher just in case a dog jumps in and make it sturdier. Also plant what they eat so they don't get hungry and maybe a water dish. But it's a wonderful idea to have a outdoor enclosure unless you live some where cold...good luck!!!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.