Outdoor Enclosure/Night Box for 4 ft. Sulcata Tortoise

Joe Stevens

Location (City and/or State)
Neptune
I am in the San Diego area I could build you a house if you need it but I would recommend ordering a ceramic heat bulb and grabbing a lamp fixture from zoo med or Home Depot and clamping it in there that should be sufficient for this winter
I may have to take you up on your offer. How much would you be willing to do it for?

pacific chelonians

SanDiego California
Price really depends on what material you’re going to use to build the house are you going to use reclaim to lumber new lumber what do you want to look like how long do you want it to last if you want it to last the longest and work the past it is most likely going to cost you at least $300

Joe Stevens

Neptune
Ok, anybody have any ideas on where to look to hire people? I'm not really sure where to look

Maitri06

Palmetto
Ok I'll have a look thank you
My sulcata is about the same size. His house is a Rubbermaid garbage can shed made for 2-3 cans. I raised it up a bit, made a small entry ramp. In the winter I cover it with packing blankets and a tarp for extra insulation. He has a CHE clamped into ceiling, heat pad on floor. I removed one door, replaced with tarp flap for winter. I live in central gulf coast Florida. He goes in on his own every night and when weather is bad. Thermometer mounted inside on coldest (40degree F.) Read 70 F. Hope this helps with some ideas.

Joe Stevens

Neptune
My sulcata is about the same size. His house is a Rubbermaid garbage can shed made for 2-3 cans. I raised it up a bit, made a small entry ramp. In the winter I cover it with packing blankets and a tarp for extra insulation. He has a CHE clamped into ceiling, heat pad on floor. I removed one door, replaced with tarp flap for winter. I live in central gulf coast Florida. He goes in on his own every night and when weather is bad. Thermometer mounted inside on coldest (40degree F.) Read 70 F. Hope this helps with some ideas.
It does, thank you! Would you mind sending a picture?

Joe Stevens

Neptune
I bought the shed used for $25, craigslist
While I appreicate Tom's carpentry expertise, his method does seem a bit prohibitive for me in terms of cost and time, so I think I'm going to go with this method for now. Hopefully one day I will be able to treat Max to the kingly fare of Tom's tortoises.

I'm mainly writing this post to make sure I'm not missing anything. My supplies so far include a 6' by 8' tarp, a radiant heat panel, and a temeprature control thermometer type thing to control the heat panel.

Is one tarp enough?

I was thinking of hot gluing some cardboard to his existing home to add some extra insulation and then covering it all with the tarp, but I'm not completely sure that the tarp would prevent the cardboard from rotting.

Since the whole thing would be covered in tarp I was thinking I'd cut up the tarp near the door so it'd be like one of these doors (https://www.strip-curtains.com/images/prodnewpage/prodGallery/animaldoor/800x600/3.jpg)

Other than that I'd just be somehow affixing the radiant heat panel to the top of Max's existing house (the one I ordered looks like it has holes for screws) and setting that up with the thermometer inside.

Maitri06

Palmetto
While I appreicate Tom's carpentry expertise, his method does seem a bit prohibitive for me in terms of cost and time, so I think I'm going to go with this method for now. Hopefully one day I will be able to treat Max to the kingly fare of Tom's tortoises.

I'm mainly writing this post to make sure I'm not missing anything. My supplies so far include a 6' by 8' tarp, a radiant heat panel, and a temeprature control thermometer type thing to control the heat panel.

Is one tarp enough?

I was thinking of hot gluing some cardboard to his existing home to add some extra insulation and then covering it all with the tarp, but I'm not completely sure that the tarp would prevent the cardboard from rotting.

Since the whole thing would be covered in tarp I was thinking I'd cut up the tarp near the door so it'd be like one of these doors (https://www.strip-curtains.com/images/prodnewpage/prodGallery/animaldoor/800x600/3.jpg)

Other than that I'd just be somehow affixing the radiant heat panel to the top of Max's existing house (the one I ordered looks like it has holes for screws) and setting that up with the thermometer inside.
The only thing I would add is a packing blanket covered by a tarp. It gets kind of funky after awhile but by then it's warm enough outside, no need for it. Harbor freight carries these but any heavy blanket is ok. I would also double secure any kind of heater in the roof, if it came down your tort could get hurt. I used a "keeper" wire along with the clamp.

Joe Stevens

Neptune
The only thing I would add is a packing blanket covered by a tarp. It gets kind of funky after awhile but by then it's warm enough outside, no need for it. Harbor freight carries these but any heavy blanket is ok. I would also double secure any kind of heater in the roof, if it came down your tort could get hurt. I used a "keeper" wire along with the clamp.
Thank you!

I have some old rugs that I could cover with the tarp, would that work?
Also should I use the card board or skip it?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The OPs climate is not like yours. What you've done there might work okay for you most of the year, but it won't work for the OP.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you!

I have some old rugs that I could cover with the tarp, would that work?
Also should I use the card board or skip it?
Before your tortoise goes outside to live in this house. You need to run a thermometer or two for a few nights and see if it is able to maintain temps. I'm pretty sure it won't. Ask me how I know that...

If it doesn't, then you are going to have to come up with something else.

Joe Stevens

Neptune
Before your tortoise goes outside to live in this house. You need to run a thermometer or two for a few nights and see if it is able to maintain temps. I'm pretty sure it won't. Ask me how I know that...

If it doesn't, then you are going to have to come up with something else.
Will do once everything arrives (it’s looking that the whole kit will come together come Sunday).