Outdoor enclosure not close to hose... ideas? 55gal drum?

taymag

Location (City and/or State)
FL
The "ideal" place for my new outdoor enclosure happens to be on the other side of the yard (which also gives them the largest area), pretty far away from the hose. I have a pool/deck in between and I dont want to have a hose ran over the pool deck 24/7. What do you guys do? I assume not everyone has a hose right next to the enclosure, I was thinking of putting a 55 gallon drum in the bushes next to the area so its hidden with a pressure pump on top. I figure that would get me quite a while before refilling, any ideas?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Get a trencher and run some PCV pipe over there. Its really easy. I've done it lots of times for both water and electricity.

I would worry about standing water in a drum stagnating and growing some bad stuff in it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have a couple of tortoise/turtle yards with no water access. I just have two or three hoses coupled together to make one long hose and I keep it rolled up at the faucet (not strung out all over the yard).

taymag

FL
My hose is on the pool deck, not sure how I would get to the water line to even run pipe...?

And yes I know I dont have to keep the hose out, but 200' of hose isn't ideal to roll in and out every day

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My hose is on the pool deck, not sure how I would get to the water line to even run pipe...?

And yes I know I dont have to keep the hose out, but 200' of hose isn't ideal to roll in and out every day
No, and it inevitably kinks way back at the beginning, causing you to have to set it down and walk all the way back to un kink it, but it gets the job done. I can't afford to have someone come out and bury a water pipe, so you make do with what you've got. And, I have two 100' hoses put together, so I know what you're talking about.

taymag

FL
Ya the two 100' hoses are terrible lol, the never-kink hose from home depot costs a little more but it does help with kinks, I had to just bite the bullet and buy those

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I hate water hoses!!!! I need them in my garden every day of every summer, but they are a pain to deal with. I am so waiting for some new teachnology to replace those pain in the butt, heavy, twisting and kinking... I’ve seen those soft/spiral ones but waiting for more feedback from the market on them

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I hate water hoses!!!! I need them in my garden every day of every summer, but they are a pain to deal with. I am so waiting for some new teachnology to replace those pain in the butt, heavy, twisting and kinking... I’ve seen those soft/spiral ones but waiting for more feedback from the market on them
I put up drip pipe sprinklers every place that I was able to attach to a hose bib, but there are a couple places that are beyond my meager skills.

taymag

FL
Since you were a plumber maybe you can answer this.. How would someone run piping when this is the only hose spigot in the backyard?

Attachments

• house-hose.jpg
    house-hose.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 36

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I had one one of those softer self coiling ones. Didn't last one summer.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You can always bury pvc with both ends being exposed just above the ground. Then just run your hose through it.
Also get a hose house that winds up the hose. You have to do the winding. Makes 130 feet a breeze, I'm sure 200 would be too.
If you do the drum and have electric out there, you could always put a aquarium/pond filter in it to keep away the crud Tom was talking about.

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
Since you were a plumber maybe you can answer this.. How would someone run piping when this is the only hose spigot in the backyard?
From there you would need to get a tee instaled behind your spigot and drop a pipe down to underground from there. Might be harder given your patio. Most houses have a waterline suppled for sprinklers do you have one of those? If so that will give you another posible place to tee into.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
If you are not going to leave the hose stretched out when not in use, those hoses that shrink up (pocket hose type) could be the way to go. They come in size up to at least 75 ft and you could fit three 75 footers in a 5 gallon bucket with a top to keep the sun from hitting it when not in use.They are not made to be left out in direct sunlight daily.

SULCY

NEW YORK
I have 250' of hose that I just laid over the lawn after a couple of weeks you couldn't see it and with the water turned off I mow right over it been like that a few years.

jrh

St Louis Metro
I like rain bird "funny pipe" for this type of scenario... its easy to lay out and you can run it anywhere... Its used on irrigation jobs to run from the main flex pipe to the sprinkler head. just use barbed fittings on each end, one to the hose bib and he the other to whatever type you are looking for. you can bury it as shallow as you want or leave it on top of the grass. it is also designed to last in ground or with uv exposure unlike regular garden hose. you can link as many as needed to get the length one is looking for
https://www.amazon.com/Rain-Bird-SWGP100-Flexible-Swing/dp/B00466X96Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1524510250&sr=8-1&keywords=rain+bird+flexible+pipe&th=1

ClydesMom

Phoenix, Arizona
Do you have a spigot on the front of the house that might be closer? My tortoise enclosure is very close to my back spigot but my garden is on the otherside of my house and I (like you) would have to run the hose over my patio, pool decking and around my outdoor kitchen. The spigot in my front yard is about 10' from my garden on the other side of a fence so I ran a hose under the fence. It's a still a little bit of a pain because I have to go to the front and connect the hose and turn it on and then go turn it off but this way I can leave the hose coiled on the garden side of the wall and not have to move it all over the place or having it laying in the way of our entertainment spaces. Just a thought. I realize this might be a stupid question, but why do you need a hose for the enclosure? Just wondering if I'm missing a step in caring for my tortoise or if I am just doing the same thing differently.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
All considered you want to reduce how frequently you have to drag a hose around, yeah? The drum is a good idea. Sort out how full it needs to be to give you a week's worth of water, and then fill a bit more. At the end of each week, let the remainder run out, rinse a bit and refill.

The idea to keep it fresh is to fill and empty. Most water supplies around the world work this way, from Manhattan with water tanks on the roof's of apartment buildings, to just about every city with their name on a tank that you can see as you drive by on the interstate, to your purpose.

The 55 gallon drum is a good idea.