Outdoor Enclosure - on Pavers

Megin34

Location (City and/or State)
Sarasota, FL
My courtyard area was the best place for these little guys with the sunlight / shade but it was hard to makeshift something on top of pavers that would still drain with these heavy and frequent rains (which the boxies LOVE)..

What do you guys think? Do they (2 male Florida boxies) need more water / digging area or will this suffice? I was trying to make it manageable for easy clean up but if you guys think they need more mulch area I can add that

Turtle Town.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I think you should fill that entire space with some topsoil, mulch, and then heavily plant. You have an area there with lots of potential. Id be careful with only two males, bullying and fighting.

Good luck!

Megin34

Sarasota, FL
I think you should fill that entire space with some topsoil, mulch, and then heavily plant

Yeah... I was thinking I needed more plants also - think its ok to leave plants in the plastic pot they come in?
As for the topsoil - I can't figure out how to do that without the rain flooding it / washing the dirt away (we really get a LOT of rain) but I could easily add more mulch since that is a bit 'heavier' and tends to not wash out (and its easy clean up)

Its hard to get it just right - my goals were:
1/ Let them eat on the pavers directly (I read on here it will help file their nails and beak)
2/ Clay water dish (plastic was too slippery)
3/ Multi surface to keep it interesting
4/ Direct Sunlight most of the day
5/ Safe and Secure (walls on 3 sides and I (*think* the wood piece is high enough, but I closed off the gate just in case)
6/ Large enough to roam around
7/ Real log hiding spots with real plants
8/ Easy to clean for frequent cleanings

So I should probably adjust for:
1/ More area to dig
2/ More plants to hide under

Any other thoughts? I want my guys happy !

Id be careful with only two males, bullying and fighting.
They seem to be buddies .. always together in the same crawl space?
But yes, I will keep my eyes on them

Thanks for the tips !

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Lay a weed fabric down first. It should let the water through but hold the solids. Make sure lots of shade and areas to hide if it gets full sun. I would raise the wall one more board higher because in the right corner you have a landscape timber the intersects with the wall and could be a climb out point. Good Luck and keep the pictures coming!