Outdoor enclosure plants

BigTomsMom

Location (City and/or State)
Opelousas louisiana
I live in Louisiana and want to plant things for my redfoot to eat and also hide in for shade. While that is my main purpose i also want things that will thrive in our heat and not need too much fussing over.

Are fountain grasses ok? There are many different colors, I’ve seen purple and white fountain grasses. Does it matter?

Are evergreen shrubs like boxwoods safe? Any info would be appreciated
Really looking for some large, hardy plants to provide shade and humid hide area

aqualungs

Perry, OH
There are so Many cool things that you can grow in that climate, and outdoors you can get really creative. I’m pretty sure that they love those decorative grasses, they also love geraniums, petunias, pansies, Nasturtium, Etc. get a few bear route hibiscus cuttings off of eBay and plant them. Get some Opuntia cactus pads also off eBay. You could easily create a terrace scape that you’re a Tortoise could feed off of and have a variety of things to eat as well as the things you provide. There are also great seed mixes to plant for tortoises. Cat grass is another.
I have a bout a year and a half before we can start our outdoor scape for our little buddy, but he’s only seven weeks old LOL good luck

Relic

Here
Also, think "layers" of shade...tree, bush, groundcover. The sun will be coming in at lots of angles, and a variety of vegetation heights will ensure there is shade somewhere at nearly all times. Even consider some hardscape items, such as broken clay pots, where the dirt underneath will stay mostly shaded 24/7 ensuring that the dirt will retain moisture. Your tortoise will quickly show you his favorite spots.

Tropical hibiscus is a wonderful plant for the south. It needs full sun, but both the leaves and abundant flowers are edible. My local Lowe's already has them in stock. You can plant them in the ground or keep them in pots - they will freeze and die over the winter.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I just built a new outdoor pen today. I'm going to plant Lugartis terrarium grass, testudo seed mix, and some hibiscus bushes I started last year.

aqualungs

Perry, OH
Yes just be careful of fertilizers and pesticides. I and trying to get everything bare root, cuttings, or seeds. I like Coco Coir medium. Can’t wait to see the progress!