outdoor enclosure plants

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hosta, viola, pansies, violets, rose of sharon, mint, fenugreek, chameleon plant, rocket, wandering jew, nasturtium, alpine strawberries, any squashes,

Canadian Mojo

Ontario
Tord loves his Haskap bush (Lonicera caerulea). It's fairly low, more spreading than upright, with multiple stems and branches starting at ground height which makes it great for butt scratches. As an added bonus it's got really tasty berries but you have to plant two varieties to get them. (Tortoise table only does a basic review of the genus and describes the berries as toxic which is correct but not for this one specific species)

Grape has potential but would require an arbor or trellis to work.

White clover makes a good ground cover and dandelions and broad leaved plantain are very popular for munching.

...of course, I'm in a rather different climate so I don't know if any of this would work for you.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I use Spider plants, Lyriopi and Elephant grass in my outside enclosures because they are trample tolerant. Dont need watering. Offer all kinds of shade and my RF don't try to eat them.

Canadian Mojo

Ontario
I use Spider plants, Lyriopi and Elephant grass in my outside enclosures because they are trample tolerant. Dont need watering. Offer all kinds of shade and my RF don't try to eat them.
It might be because he's stuck inside for the winter so he's got fewer options but our RF seems to really like spider plant. He's eaten everything he can reach in his enclosure and if we put it in the bathtub with him to water it while he's enjoying a soak he just hangs out under it munching away merrily despite having had a meal that day.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Winter pansies do not last long at all well put in the enclosure for random munchies!