Outdoor enclosure/raised garden bed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arvada, Colorado
We are planning to use a raised bed as an outdoor enclosure. It is much like this one:

5Lf5P35Ja3Kb3m33N9c4ua191c482ff871bf9.jpg

The one thing that occurred to me is the possibility of them digging/burrowing under the sides. Some sites that provide instructions for building raised beds talk about using steel hardware cloth on the bottom generally to prevent animals (like voles) from getting in the bed from underneath.

I was wondering if a layer of hardware cloth in the bottom of a tort enclosure would help prevent them from burrowing under or if the hardware cloth might be dangerous to their feet.

If so, does anyone have any other ideas to inhibit them from digging/burrowing under and out? Or am I overly concerned here?

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
I like this idea. Why not sink bricks and then place your enclosure ontop of them? I would think you would have less chance of injury that way. Not sure though...I don't own Russians, but I have read that they are great escape artist.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
In our area, even galvanized wire rusts. So I used plastic fencing (orange or green) stapled to one side. Then flip it over and fill with some gravel to help with drainage. I did have leftover bricks, so lined the bottom with those, then some gravel to fill in spaces.
Then fill with organic topsoil or untreated dirt and landscape for your tort (s)!

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Arvada, Colorado
Ah bricks around the inside edge is a really great idea! I think I have some leftover ones as well or one can always find free ones on Craigslist. Thank you! I think that will be safer than the wire. And Lynne, everything here rusts too!

Can't wait to give them a place to explore without having to chase them all around the yard!

Status
Not open for further replies.