Outdoor Enclosure Requirements in Southern Maine

ApartmentTortoise

5 Year Member
Hello Everyone!

We have just moved back to southern Maine, and finally have a yard available to us (which means outdoor pens, yes!). However, where I'm able to put my little Raphy is too far away from the house to run an electrical cord out for a basking lamp or a heating pad. I know how to set the enclosure up but I'm now concerned about the microclimates....

I'm curious about a few things:
1) Will he even need a basking lamp at all? The enclosure area will be quite large with plenty of shade, but also plenty of areas with direct sunlight all day. UVB shouldn't be a problem.
2) Is it too cold for him to be outside at night? We are hitting anywhere from low 50's at night to mid 80's during the day, with rainy days usually around mid 60's. I was thinking of bringing him in at night if it gets too cold, but I'd rather keep him out there 24/7 to keep him de-stressed if at all possible.
3) Is there an affordable and wireless way to create a heated hide if he needs one? Is it necessary within this temperature range? It is going to get a little warmer, but not by much. I can insulate a hide, but I have no way of plugging in a lamp or a heating pad. Moving the enclosure closer to the house is not an option.

Winter time he will DEFINITELY be coming inside to his new tortoise table that I plan to build this summer (or order online if I get lazy).

Backstory: we just moved from west Florida, where he was outside all summer (obviously way more warm). I don't want to shock him or make him sick, and I also want to get him outdoors as much as possible!

Thanks in advance :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
1) I think you could get away w/o a basking light. Not having one simply shortens the months that the tortoise can be outside full time, but there are some things you can do, to help, see below.
2) He would be fine with those temps. Having graveled areas, and perhaps even building the sides of cement blocks, will help absorb heat during the day. If you set up a cold frame on a brick base (with a couple of bricks removed for a tortoise door), then your tortoise can retreat from any rain, if needed, and warm up in the morning when the sun catches it. The inside of the cold frame can be landscaped!
During hot weather, your tortoise won't even need a cold frame, but it helps give more options during crummy weather.
3) I don't know the answer to this, but hopefully you won't need an electric source.

ApartmentTortoise

5 Year Member
Awesome, I hadn't thought of a cold frame! I did put down some flat slate where the sun hits first thing, and I am using cinder blocks for the sides. We have a ton of bricks available too. Thanks so much!!!