outdoor enclosure safety

PSLIMO

5 Year Member
Hi All,

I'm starting the final planning of my summer outdoor enclosure. I have an area in mind that's elevated from the ground and the back of it will be against the house with half of it covered by my deck. Half south exposure full sun and half covered shade. I'm building an insulated, heated hide for nighttime.

I search for zoo and private tortoise enclosure pictures and they don't seem to be concerned with predators as all the pictures show open air enclosures. I live on a golf course with wetlands running through it and have a large variety of wildlife. Deer, coyote, foxes, skunks, possums and raccoons that generally stay away from the house during the day. My real concern is the Bald Eagles, Red Tail Hawks, Osprey and Horned Owls. I really wanted a large area for her and it would be hard to enclose.

Is it safe to let my tortoise roam in an area that's not covered all day? I'm thinking that the birds will strike anything although I don't know if tortoises are on the menu.

I understand that owls hunt at night but this one had no problem targeting a large rabbit very close to my house.

owl1.JPGowl2.JPG

Please advise,

Phil

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Look at my short YOUTUBE video called
REDFOOT HABITAT FLORIDA STYLE
I used lattice for the side walls and plastic netting for the top.
You can make an enclosure semi secure for not a lot of money.
However, it's still a crapshoot if you have small tortoises, large predators or both.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings.

What kind of tortoise & how large of a tort are we talking about? Eagles, ospreys, owls & hawks at least here in Maryland don’t have tortoise on their daily menu. Owls normally hunt at night, so we can pretty easily eliminate them As prey.

I spend a ton of time on the waters that feed the Chesapeake Bay - from Pennsylvania to southern Virginia. Ive encountered 100’s of Eagles, Ospreys & Hawks, never once saw one carrying away a turtle, let alone a multi-pound land tortoise.

So, how big & what kind of tort? (I would worry more about the possums, Raccoons, & Rats than birds of prey)

ps - where are you located?

PSLIMO

5 Year Member
Do you guy's have anything covering your outdoor enclosures?

I'm near Crystal Lake 60014 about 50 miles N/W of Chicago. My Leopard is 4 years old, weighs a little over 10 lbs and has a shell length of 13". The area of the enclosure is 25' x 40'.

I put a game camera in that area to see what's around and only ground squirrels and birds during the day but you never know when something might stray by. Lots of larger predators during the night time but she'd be locked away by then.

Phil

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Your tort is big enough that flying predators would not bother him. For all others the 4x4 nightbox should be fine. For extra insurance you could add a motion activated sprinkler to spray anything approaching

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Do you guy's have anything covering your outdoor enclosures?

I'm near Crystal Lake 60014 about 50 miles N/W of Chicago. My Leopard is 4 years old, weighs a little over 10 lbs and has a shell length of 13". The area of the enclosure is 25' x 40'.

I put a game camera in that area to see what's around and only ground squirrels and birds during the day but you never know when something might stray by. Lots of larger predators during the night time but she'd be locked away by then.

Phil
Plastic mesh screen.
It should discourage birds.

PSLIMO

5 Year Member
It's not practical to cover the 25' x 40' area where the enclosure will be. I appreciate all the advice but maybe I should reword the question.

Has anyone had any problems with letting leopards roam in an uncovered outdoor enclosure with predatory birds or animals?

Thanks in advance,

Phil

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
How about a kevlar vest??? Just joking.
It would be great to see some pictures of your tort and the enclosure if you can.

PSLIMO

5 Year Member
Here's a picture of Shelly in my yard:

20190627_120627_resized.jpg

Here's the yard, the enclosure will be directly below this deck rail. There's lots of wildlife out there.

20180527_162945_resized.jpg

Here's the area I'm putting the enclosure. I finished clearing it last fall and planted some fountain grass for cover and shade.

20190728_163233_resized.jpg

Phil

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Great great area. Honestly, torts really aren't on birds of prey menus. A good perimeter fence, coupled with a good secure nightbox I think will be fine.

btw - nice back yard!