Outdoor Enclosure Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortoise_Named_Alfred

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Austin, TX
FINALLY I AM DOOOONE!!! Minus planting a few more plants but i have the majority of it all doooone!!!
Phew, took a little bit of sweat, a couple of cuts, and less money then expected but here it is!

100_4238.jpg
100_4233.jpg

100_4237.jpg

100_4236.jpg
100_4235.jpg

100_4239.jpg

100_4231.jpg
100_4229.jpg

100_4240.jpg

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
RE: OUTDOOR ENCLOSURE UPDATE!!!

Looks like you did a very nice job.

I am assuming you want us to pick apart any area of concerns we might have? Pardon my very poor memory, but if I recall this is for a very little guy isn't it?

Am wondering if your gonna place a front cover onto the nest box/home area? Would hold heat in better, plus would make him feel more secure I am sure.

I like the hinged top you have over it and the two separate ones over the rest of the pen. I think you will find it so much easier to work with having three lids.

Am a bit worried about the fact the side wires don't go all the way up to the top and are you going to put wire in that last area by the house. Torts (well most of them, some species more then others) will try climbing out. Usually with the wire walls you make a lip going in toward the center of the enclosure or like in your case the best would have been all the way to the top. Once more, with your tort it may not matter, just want to make you aware of it. Did you bury some of the wire into the dirt to prevent digging out?

Watch especially the corner points in the cage, because that is the most common place they like to climb up. Make sure the lid sets firmly down in those areas.

Overall I just want to once more say, you did a wonderful job!

P.S. Just saw the thread about this being for a Redfoot. Not sure about anybody else's, but none of my four have ever tried to climb out nor dig out. So you should be safer then if this had been built for a Russian or a Box turtle.

I really think he/she is going to love it! :) :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Wow! Nice job!

Yvonne

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA

Greetings ~

:cool: Oh yes, I would say you did an incredible job! May I ask what kinds of flowers you planted? Looks like a wonderful home ~

Thanx for sharing ~
Purpod

Tortoise_Named_Alfred

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Austin, TX

First of all thanks for letting me know the points I was missing.
I am planning on putting the last small section of wire around that last small portion.
I was slightly concerned with the digging issue to i did bury about 2 1/2 inches of wire and lattice and also put some bricks around the edge's that are slightly sunk into the ground also.
I plan on getting some sort of covering for the front to keep the heat in ( i have it set up to have a ceramic heat emmiter) and also retain some of the humidity, just not sure what yet, im thinking a thick plastic material, cutting it in strips and securing them to the top so that its easy for her to get in.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
And thank you for all the praise.

Tortoise_Named_Alfred

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Austin, TX

purpod said:
Greetings ~

:cool: Oh yes, I would say you did an incredible job! May I ask what kinds of flowers you planted? Looks like a wonderful home ~

Thanx for sharing ~
Purpod

i planted 2 hibiscus, some Begonia's, Petunia's, And some portacula.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ

Looks great - it's fun building and decorating their homes isn't it!?!

Tortoise_Named_Alfred

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Austin, TX

Most deffinitly i just dont want to over crowd the area but i want to put sooo many more plants into it.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
That looks so great!!! I love it. You could plant some Spring Mix seeds. My Cherry Head goes nuts over the little sprouts. When you put him in, post a picture of him in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.