Outdoor enclosure.. Which materials?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeganAlyse

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Atlanta, GA
I live in the suburbs near atlanta. Obviously, that means I don't have a whole lot of room to work with. I have managed to secure about 4x8 feet for an outdoor enclosure, but most of it will be in the shade. I need to protect from predators, including raccoons, large birds, cats, and my neighbor's lapdog. It doesn't need to be tall, since my redfoot's a juvenile. Any ideas on what I could use to make it as completely predator- and escape-proof as possible?

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
I used cinderblocks for my enclosure, no top because my torts go in a tort house at night. It was inexpensive and you can stain the blocks.

But I did see something the other day in Home Depot that caught my eye and thought, hmmm that would make a cool enclosure. The raised gardening bed kit or you could build your own, but this included everything and would be roughly the same cost. I believe it was 4 x 8 and had 16" walls. I thought about putting cinderblocks down first and then just sitting this ontop. Then if you wanted to add a hinged lid or put the pet fabric across the top you could.

Hope this helps you. You will see lots of idea on this forum...

MeganAlyse

5 Year Member
Atlanta, GA
I'll definitely keep an eye out for that. sounds perfect :) was gonna make a trip to home depot anyway, just to look at prices for this.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I used cinder blocks too and am happy with it. However, be sure that your top is heavy enough and strong enough that the racoons etc. can't open it up, chew it up, or crawl under the edges. Can racoons dig under the blocks? I don't know the answer to this, but if I were you I would want to know. Many many years ago I lost two desert tort babies from a bird(?) squirrel(?) sneaking under the edge of the wire covering. It was devastating to me. So, just be extra cautious.

MeganAlyse

5 Year Member
Atlanta, GA
the problem with cinder blocks is securing the top. I have no idea how to do this.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Cinder blocks are great. As an alternative,
you could also use pressure treated wood, say 2x8", 8' long, or if you want to dig down and back fill some (see below), 2 X12", 8' long. Pressure treated wood is safe to use now, a lot of people on this site have used it.
Stack them so you have 16" high (or 16" high with 8" below ground).
Cut two of them in half (home depot will make some cuts). That means if you have 8' long boards, that is a total of 4 for the sides, and 2 for the ends, if cut in half. Secure with 2"x2" posts (you can buy them premade with sharp ends) with wood screws. This should give you a 4'x8' enclosure.
For extra security below, you can dig down 6-8" and use snow fencing (orange plastic fencing) and bend up the inside of the enclosure a few inches. Staple gun or tack in place. Then back fill with well draining dirt, perhaps mixed with peat moss.
then you can finish off with wood screens made with 1x2's and hardware cloth, you should be able to find some that is 4 foot wide.

Status
Not open for further replies.