Outdoor Habitats for small turtles and tortoises

kameya

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, California
Like to share a couple ideas on how I setup a few areas in my backyard where I can keep my small turtles and tortoises in the outdoor environment so they can enjoy all the wonderful outdoor elements... sun, rain, wind, and natural earth...

I used the concrete cinder block to create a few enclosed enclosures... the open area on the left is saved for my semi-adult tortoises...
small turtles habitas 01.jpg

I have created three individual areas for different types of turtles and tortoises, each area is capped off by the wire fence to prevent the invasion of rats and other small predators...
small turtles habitas 02.jpg

Each habitat can house different types of small turtles... water, box, and land, all I need to do is swapping the different sizes of the plant saucers for accommodate the water area required by each turtle species. I've also setup the water sprinklers to replenish the water on auto-timer, and each habitat has its own hiding area and basking space.
small turtles habitas 03.jpg

When the contractor built the main retaining wall, he left small gaps between the blocks in the bottom layer to allow the overflow water to drain thru the gaps when we do get heavy rains here in Sol Cal... ^_^
small turtles habitas 04.jpg

With the setup like this, I am able to keep my small turtles and tortoise out in their outdoor habitats from mid-spring to early winter, and bring them indoor during winter.

Last edited: