Outdoor heated box in the Dallas winter storm holding its temps well.

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Netherlands
That's really nice! What kind of heating and insulation do you use? And what type of tort lives there? Does he get out during the day?
Already thinking of a permanent outdoor enclosure for my redfoot when he's grown up, but in the Netherlands I'll also need to make something like this...

mushmouth26

5 Year Member
Texas
It has 2 sulcatas. I keep them locked up when its below 40F. Otherwise they can come and go as they please. The design is based off Toms night box.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/my-best-night-box-design-yet.66867/

Here is my album. It contains some 3D renderings of Tom's design.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/media/albums/mushmouth26-tortoises.200/

full

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That's really nice, but I would really worry about them fighting or one being bullied specially being locked up. I hope you don't ever have that problem but I also hope you are keeping a very close eye out for it as it can be very hard to spot sometimes

mushmouth26

5 Year Member
Texas
I dont believe its been an issue so far. The younger smaller one continues to rapidly gain weight. They huddle together when sleeping. Never seen any ramming. Or aggressive behavior.

That's really nice, but I would really worry about them fighting or one being bullied specially being locked up. I hope you don't ever have that problem but I also hope you are keeping a very close eye out for it as it can be very hard to spot sometimes

argus333

5 Year Member
ya your fine they look like they are still young, just watch as they get older. box looks good.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
It is reassuring to see this box design hold temperature when the outside temps are below freezing. My sulcata lives in a similar night box. Rarely does it get that cold where I live, but I believe the box needs to be designed for worst case. We had two nights in early January that got down to 28° and it held temps just fine.

Connie Jo

Texas
That's really nice! What kind of heating and insulation do you use? And what type of tort lives there? Does he get out during the day?
Already thinking of a permanent outdoor enclosure for my redfoot when he's grown up, but in the Netherlands I'll also need to make something like this...
What do you use to keep the wood on the door from separating from the insulation. My door was glued to the insulation & it keeps coming apart