Outdoor hobbit (Sully) hut

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I agree that you do not need UV for a tortoise that lives outside.

Do keep those temps up. It is especially important that this tortoise stays warm right now with the stress of being moved to a new territory and all.

Congrats and I hope you enjoy!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Thx! Those things are expensive from what I saw...but at this point we are pretty invested !

It’s like insurance. If you get a sick Sully and have to go to a vet and pay xxx dollars, you will see the 125.00 investment in a mat plus thermostat was worth it. Kind of like - you can pay me now, or pay me a lot later!

Good luck

Maidens, Virginia
If your tortoise has access to outside, then you don't need a UVB light.
It’s like insurance. If you get a sick Sully and have to go to a vet and pay xxx dollars, you will see the 125.00 investment in a mat plus thermostat was worth it. Kind of like - you can pay me now, or pay me a lot later!

Good luck

Makes total sense! I was kinda saying that 'its expensive' jokingly since we have spent so much already. Wouldn't change it though...the hut is staying super warm now.

Maidens, Virginia
You and your partner did a wonderful job! I really like it.

I would like to see a heavy duty wire heater guard, though, rather than the solid wood one. Seems like the wood is going to keep the heat up and away from tortoise level. There's a 16' long cattle panel made out of welded wire that you can cut and shape around the heater to protect it from the tortoise:

6x8-openings-stack.jpg

Maidens, Virginia
@Yvonne G ... sorry if it wasn't you..but I swear I saw a response about whether or not I need to secure under the fence line...
I'm having trouble navigating this page. Had you written something about that? or was I dreaming..haha

Maidens, Virginia
I agree that you do not need UV for a tortoise that lives outside.

Do keep those temps up. It is especially important that this tortoise stays warm right now with the stress of being moved to a new territory and all.

Congrats and I hope you enjoy!

TOM.. we are enjoying him so much! So, when I went to see him this am... he was lifted up on the door, such that he kinda plopped out when I opened it. This is the cool spot in the house. It was reading 75. The other spots were 80 and 85. I gather he was hot? He also weirdly seems more 'alive' and active when I put him out in the chilly air for a quick walk this morning. (Im talking 5 minutes at 50 degrees in the sunshine) or hand feeding him on a tile floor. He strolled around his yard eating at peace. I didn't want him to get cold. He had a soak with steam again, for good measure. My question is... do they ever become accustomed to being at lower temps? I know the rescue was keeping him at 70..which we discussed in another thread (being suspect). anyway...in a nut shell...he doesn't seem to like the 80+ spots in the home. am I missing something

scorey

Alberta
You guys have done a lot of work for your Sulcata, and I commend you for that. Having a construction background, and years of experience with turtles and tortoises, I am offering some advise. The insulation in the door and front wall is backwards, and should of been stapled to the studs. The paper backing acts as a vapor barrier and should be to the warm side. The whole enclosure, being heated needs a vapor barrier on the inside. Without it when the cold air and warn air meet it will create condensation, and that will all end up in the enclosure, creating a high humidity level. Not good for Sulcatas!! I also agree with someones comment about removing the plywood form the oil filled radiant heater, and installing an open metal cage around it, so the heat can radiate through it rather than going up. this way the tortoise can regulate it body temp. by moving closer, or staying away from the heater.

Maidens, Virginia
You guys have done a lot of work for your Sulcata, and I commend you for that. Having a construction background, and years of experience with turtles and tortoises, I am offering some advise. The insulation in the door and front wall is backwards, and should of been stapled to the studs. The paper backing acts as a vapor barrier and should be to the warm side. The whole enclosure, being heated needs a vapor barrier on the inside. Without it when the cold air and warn air meet it will create condensation, and that will all end up in the enclosure, creating a high humidity level. Not good for Sulcatas!! I also agree with someones comment about removing the plywood form the oil filled radiant heater, and installing an open metal cage around it, so the heat can radiate through it rather than going up. this way the tortoise can regulate it body temp. by moving closer, or staying away from the heater.[/QUOTE

Hey there! Thanks for the post. A quick question... what percentage of humidity is ok
Or should be maintained. I was, perhaps falsely, under the impression we needed to be sure his substrate and lifestyle was not
Too dry. I have actually been putting some water on parts of the substrate to keep it
up.
I attached a few photos of the door and wall in the inside. We put wood on the inside too.. wasn’t sure if that changes the comment or not. My husband claims that it has a vapor barrier on both sides... I’m not a builder, ha.

Also I see you’re in Alberta! Ow often do your guys go outside. Mine keeps wanting out and staying out ,in my opinion too long for 40 degrees. Do you know how long they maintain their inner core temp. He’s loving it , but I am gonna lock him back in to be safe.

Attachments

• E3E95F4B-661F-469C-A052-0BAF8919A26D.jpeg
    E3E95F4B-661F-469C-A052-0BAF8919A26D.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 59
  • 258B1550-5F77-4C02-9E3D-D0E57A98865A.jpeg
    258B1550-5F77-4C02-9E3D-D0E57A98865A.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 56
  • 1F85EC07-1CB1-4F40-87A8-06FF228535AA.jpeg
    1F85EC07-1CB1-4F40-87A8-06FF228535AA.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 54
  • 11DEE262-D28B-48C5-A61D-DD631458CFC3.jpeg
    11DEE262-D28B-48C5-A61D-DD631458CFC3.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 50
Maidens, Virginia
Ps. Haven’t made a humid hide yet either... in his house. Any suggestions for matrial for a 20” guy.

Attachments

• 555BC1F7-A450-4DE6-89DC-33F295CB31AB.jpeg
    555BC1F7-A450-4DE6-89DC-33F295CB31AB.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 47
  • 9AD4DCBA-19DA-45AC-9399-E46C44FCB6E5.jpeg
    9AD4DCBA-19DA-45AC-9399-E46C44FCB6E5.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 50

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
You guys have done a lot of work for your Sulcata, and I commend you for that. Having a construction background, and years of experience with turtles and tortoises, I am offering some advise. The insulation in the door and front wall is backwards, and should of been stapled to the studs. The paper backing acts as a vapor barrier and should be to the warm side. The whole enclosure, being heated needs a vapor barrier on the inside. Without it when the cold air and warn air meet it will create condensation, and that will all end up in the enclosure, creating a high humidity level. Not good for Sulcatas!! I also agree with someones comment about removing the plywood form the oil filled radiant heater, and installing an open metal cage around it, so the heat can radiate through it rather than going up. this way the tortoise can regulate it body temp. by moving closer, or staying away from the heater.
High humidity will not hurt a salcata as long as the temps are right. Salcatas are not desert torts.

DancesWithDinosaurs

USA
View attachment 262676 View attachment 262677 View attachment 262679 View attachment 262680 View attachment 262681 Well, 3 weeks later we may be done! The pics show off all of the details. We pick up Monty Chello from the rescue tomorrow, so I'm super excited. We worked so hard to create this buried hobbit house of a home, creating some natural insulation. Check it out!! Im open to advice, of course! Thanks for all the forum knowledge that inspired such an ordeal.
Really sweet pictures! I hope you will post more of the final product! Cheers

shellcior

Magnolia, Tx
Awww...these pics remind me of my Tank when he was a young lad. So cute! Just a suggestion, I have a wireless fish eye (360 degree) camera in Tank's building. I can check on him when it's cold/wet to make sure he is where he needs to be. Also, I have a thermometer with a display in the house to ensure the temp is where it needs to be. This gives me a LOT of peace of mind.

Lyric

5 Year Member
Tampa, Florida
YlY have one handsome sulcata there! The work that you all did is phenomenal. What is your outdoor water source for him?

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Great job! [emoji851]

Maidens, Virginia
Awww...these pics remind me of my Tank when he was a young lad. So cute! Just a suggestion, I have a wireless fish eye (360 degree) camera in Tank's building. I can check on him when it's cold/wet to make sure he is where he needs to be. Also, I have a thermometer with a display in the house to ensure the temp is where it needs to be. This gives me a LOT of peace of mind.

You read my mind! I went on to ask about suggestions for spy works...I would like to see in his hut from the house. If you like yours...what brand is it/ price. also, I was going to look into apps that I can check the temps when Im not home. He wants to be out when its really too cod for him. Did your guy do this...do they self regulate (meaning, will he go in the house when he is cold?)