Outdoor leopard little ones enclosure

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
So my trio of yearling leopards eat rocks. I added minerAl as a supplement and they continued to eat rocks, so I removed all of the native soil from their enclosure. One and a half cubic yards, and replaced it with rock free top soil and coco coir.
The enclosure was heavily planted and I was very worried I would not be able to get much to grow this time of year. It is doing surprisingly well though.
My husband knows I am crazy now though. Planting weeds was bad enough, but removing dirt to add different dirt is the straw that broke the camel's back. Lol0729151811.jpg 0729151811a.jpg 0729151811b.jpg 0729151811c.jpg

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I love it. Trying to explain to somebody the different qualities of dirt isn't easy sometimes. I have spent more money on "dirt" for my tortoise in the last few years it is crazy. Orchid bark, coconut coir, Pete Moss, organic garden soil. It all adds up. Does your husband even bother rolling his eyes anymore? :)
I do have one small concern, the insides sides of the water bowl seem sort of steep. Maybe some large pebbles or something like that in there to help them get out of it easier? I can't tell how big the tortoises are compared to the bowl.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I was worried about it too. With the rocks around the outside though they get in n out no problem. He does roll his eyes, but readily helps. Best husband ever, even if he thinks I am crazy.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I was worried about it too. With the rocks around the outside though they get in n out no problem. He does roll his eyes, but readily helps. Best husband ever, even if he thinks I am crazy.
I'm glad they're able to get in and out of it. I was worried they might fall in and flip. But I'm paranoid :) yes it does sound like you have the best husband ever. And there's worse things to be then crazy. I'll be up in your neck of the woods in September, maybe we can get together then.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I'm glad they're able to get in and out of it. I was worried they might fall in and flip. But I'm paranoid :) yes it does sound like you have the best husband ever. And there's worse things to be then crazy. I'll be up in your neck of the woods in September, maybe we can get together then.
That would be great.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
That is a great looking enclosure! Lots of hiding spots, corners, elevation changes, plants. I bet they love it!! great job!!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Thank you Greg. It was better before I had to dig it all out to get rid of the rocks, but it is coming back nicely.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I feel your pain regarding the rocky soil in Spokane Valley. I spent an entire summer helping my parents dig up the back yard for a garden and installing irrigation lines. When all was said and done I have some nice looking biceps!