outdoor little pound?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt581

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jackson MI
Ok my pen is all up thank god! Lol. I have a 50x50 area with 4 sides of 3ft fencing and about 140 or so blocks so he can't see out.Iv seen ppl make little pounds for the tortoises to walk in and out. What do they use to make it? I only have 2 dog houses right now i'm going to try to finish up the inside by this weekend:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When you say "pounds" are you talking about little water places? You can just use a large plant pot saucer and sink it down, or you can scrape out an indentation and mix up some redi-mix cement and spread it over the indentation. Or you can use the top of a large plastic bin. Outdoor tortoises really love to have a water hole they can climb into.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I just did mine this past weekend. I made a sloping spot in the ground. Mixed up quick set cement and by hand formed it. I put a drain in the middle of it that has a push button stopper in the middle. The drain fits inside a PVC pipe with holes drilled into the sides. Then i placed that pipe inside a larger PVC pipe so the drill holes would not get clogged. The bigger pipe sits on top of some drain gravel. I forgot a air vent, so it drains slow in a gluping way, but it works. I had in down in no time. Waited two days, rinsed it out several times, today i put some water in it for my tort. Good luck:D

You can also check out one of my old threads asking about doing a shallow pond. Here is the link http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-CEMENT-POND-HOW-BIG-APPROX
There are some ideas on there also.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
ive dont the indent with cement and I also use plastic large garbage can lids.. both work great for a little Pond...

matt581

5 Year Member
Jackson MI
wellington said:
I just did mine this past weekend. I made a sloping spot in the ground. Mixed up quick set cement and by hand formed it. I put a drain in the middle of it that has a push button stopper in the middle. The drain fits inside a PVC pipe with holes drilled into the sides. Then i placed that pipe inside a larger PVC pipe so the drill holes would not get clogged. The bigger pipe sits on top of some drain gravel. I forgot a air vent, so it drains slow in a gluping way, but it works. I had in down in no time. Waited two days, rinsed it out several times, today i put some water in it for my tort. Good luck:D

You can also check out one of my old threads asking about doing a shallow pond. Here is the link http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-CEMENT-POND-HOW-BIG-APPROX
There are some ideas on there also.

Ok thanks can u please post some pics:) pond whoops my bad ..lol He's really bord right now i think just 2 houses to play in. I also need to add some rocks

http://www.arizonatortoisecompound.com/gallery.php?gallery=files/gallery/TORTOISES/African tortoises

now this would be great!!!!

emysemys said:
When you say "pounds" are you talking about little water places? You can just use a large plant pot saucer and sink it down, or you can scrape out an indentation and mix up some redi-mix cement and spread it over the indentation. Or you can use the top of a large plastic bin. Outdoor tortoises really love to have a water hole they can climb into.

Plant pot would also be a great thing right now hes only 7lbs at the moment this weekend should be fun:)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Along with his pond/soaking dish, may I suggest you might want to also make a mud wallow for your sulcata. They do love their mud baths. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.