Outdoor night temperature for Russians

Geng

5 Year Member
Hello guys,

Last weekend I've brought over my Russian tortoise (male, around 6 years old I think) to my parents house. They have a big garden for my tortoise to roam. Also the weather is quite nice and sunny this week. Temps is around 25 C (77F) in the afternoon, so it's quite warm and sunny for my tortoise to get some outdoor time. At night he would sleep at the cool side of the garden, has his own hole to dig in between leaves.

During night the temp would drop to 16C (61F) to lowest 14C (57F).

I'm planning to let my tortoise stay at my parents the whole week. He would stay in the garden full time and my parents don't have an indoor enclosure for him.

I don't worry about the temps during day time, but are the night temps perhaps to chilly for a Russian?

Thanks guys.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello guys,

Last weekend I've brought over my Russian tortoise (male, around 6 years old I think) to my parents house. They have a big garden for my tortoise to roam. Also the weather is quite nice and sunny this week. Temps is around 25 C (77F) in the afternoon, so it's quite warm and sunny for my tortoise to get some outdoor time. At night he would sleep at the cool side of the garden, has his own hole to dig in between leaves.

During night the temp would drop to 16C (61F) to lowest 14C (57F).

I'm planning to let my tortoise stay at my parents the whole week. He would stay in the garden full time and my parents don't have an indoor enclosure for him.

I don't worry about the temps during day time, but are the night temps perhaps to chilly for a Russian?

Thanks guys.
Loose in the garden is cause for concern. It is highly likely you will lose him. What about garden fertilizers or pesticides? Toxic plants?

Likewise, sleeping out in the open, even when dug in, is a recipe for disaster. It would be helpful if you'd put a location in your user CP so we could see where in the world you are. Different advice for London vs. the current location of London Bridge (Lake Havasu City, AZ, USA)

Your tortoise needs a temperature controlled safe shelter. Those temps, both the day and the night, are on the cool side for a Russian in summer, but certainly tolerable. Your torotise still needs a safe structure of some sort that it can be locked up in at night to keep it safe from predators, insects and the elements. What if it rains? What if a fox or raccoon discovers him on a cold night?

More here: