Outdoor Plants for Russian Tortoise Diet

TairaBacca

Location (City and/or State)
North California
Hi again! Sheldon seems to enjoy himself in his new summer home! In this home I have 2 tropical hibiscus plants, 2 jade plants, 3 prickly pear cacti, and 3 aloe. I know that the jade and aloe are not stable diets for the tortoise so I planted them for the soul purpose of providing a natural hiding area. Here is an updated picture of his summer houseImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1501367067.949079.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1501367099.613388.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1501367121.696825.jpg

I was wondering what was the next step to spoil Sheldon and I decided to go buy outdoor potted plants for a healthy diet. I know that collard greens/dandelion greens are very good and are high in calcium. I also read about kale being a good choice. Furthermore, I remember strawberry and other fruits being an once a month treat.

Now I ask you... what food is healthy for my Russian tortoise? Which foods are easier to take care of and which are harder? Any past problems or recommendations with potted plant diets?

Thanks in advance,
-Tyler

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1501367434.687415.jpg

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Hi Tyler,

What is Sheldon's regular diet? It's easier for us to make suggestions for new foods if we know the "old" ones.

I wouldn't bother growing anything you can buy at the store, like collards or kale. It's cheaper and easier to just buy them.

If you aren't starting from seed, you'll either need to stick to "human" food plants or wait six months before feeding anything you buy. Most commercial nurseries use long-term pesticides on their plants and you don't want Sheldon having any of that! If you are buying a plant meant to be grown and eaten by people, it's safe.

A squash, any kind, is an excellent food plant: leaves, stems, flowers. You'll want a big pot and some sun. The great thing about a squash is that if you kill one, you can get another one at Home Depot for $1.59!

If you want to try seeds, turnips (for the leaves), nasturtiums, and sunflowers are all very easy to grow. Not the six-foot tall kind of sunflower, there are short ones too! These small sunflowers are meant just for pots and will be labeled as "dwarf" sunflowers. You feed the leaves and stems from the sunflower.

You really should not feed fruit to a Russian, even as a treat; they just aren't able to handle the sugar. A hibiscus flower is a great treat, so you've got that covered.

TairaBacca

North California
Thanks. Sheldon's old diet was low in calcium so I am definitely striving to improve that. Thanks for the suggestions. Will buy squash.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
If you haven't already, you should read the article posted by Geo Terra Testudo, "steppe tortoise diet in the wild" on the Russian tortoise page Some.Russian tortoises may be looking food items that are not normally offered.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
If you haven't already, you should read the article posted by Geo Terra Testudo, "steppe tortoise diet in the wild" on the Russian tortoise page Some.Russian tortoises may be looking food items that are not normally offered.

I love that article and read it all the time when I was new. They eat so many things that are supposed to be "no-no" foods!