Outdoor pond

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
This is aimed toward people with more tropical or warmer climate species.. I also live in so. Cal where the temps are fairly moderate 75-90high 65-70 low summer ; 60-70 high 40-55 low night. I have a mexican musk turtle and he's about 8-8.5 inches. I'm planning on making him a pond outdoors, and I know they need warm water all year round, so I will be getting a heater to keep the water up. My question is.. It doesn't matter the air temp right? He stays in the water all the time anyways. Or will I need a heated dock too? I plan to make an above ground pond because I have a big porch I can put it on to save yard space for the tortoises lol. Any tips on that would be great. I already read a few different treads on them on here and other sites, any pointers tho are nice. Any recommend pond heaters?

Kyle

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Please reinforce the porch because each gallon of water is 8.5 lbs so 200
Gallon pond w/o rocks or plants will
Weigh 160 lbs

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Our Triporcatus do just fine without any type of heater, and at some points our water temperature is close to freezing. Some dig down, others stay in the water, but cool temperatures are something they are accustomed to if they can come up to regular operating temperatures during the day...

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
EricIvins said:
Our Triporcatus do just fine without any type of heater, and at some points our water temperature is close to freezing. Some dig down, others stay in the water, but cool temperatures are something they are accustomed to if they can come up to regular operating temperatures during the day...

Thanks Eric! That's the exact answer I been looking for, someone with the species and the pond. Seems like fl gets colder then us at night maybe close to the same. When you say dig in, do you mean like they come out of the water and dig into the dirt? I haven't seen my guy leave the water much that's why I'm so like whaa lol. This answer tho gives me more confidence in keeping him outdoors in a pond.

Another quick question, how deep and big is your pond?

Grandpa Turtle 144 said:
Please reinforce the porch because each gallon of water is 8.5 lbs so 200
Gallon pond w/o rocks or plants will
Weigh 160 lbs

When I say porch, I mean ca style haha. Slab of cement in the back yard is our porch. Haha it's not a porch porch like wood and steps

Kyle