outdoor Red foot tortoise enclosure in san diego, CA?

LeChef

Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA USA
I really enjoy red foot tortoises because of their medium size but I don't live in a humid place like florida so I was wondering if anyone knows or keeps red foots outdoors in CA. I know they need humidity and don't have the space for them inside but not sure how I would create a humid environment for them outside. If this isn't an option ill be sticking with the Russian tortoise but just looking to see if there's other options out there. Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I really enjoy red foot tortoises because of their medium size but I don't live in a humid place like florida so I was wondering if anyone knows or keeps red foots outdoors in CA. I know they need humidity and don't have the space for them inside but not sure how I would create a humid environment for them outside. If this isn't an option ill be sticking with the Russian tortoise but just looking to see if there's other options out there. Thanks!
People keep them here in CA, but in almost all cases they don't do well here. They are one of the species that just suffer in a dry climate. A Russian would work, and a hermanni would likely thrive in your climate. I little help with temperatures will be needed for any species, but this will offer some insight:

pacific chelonians

SanDiego California
Hay I have over 40 redfoots out side in San Diego. SanDiego Diego is surprisingly more humid then you think is 60-79% depending on the time of year witch is plenty for adults I have them in my yard and I spray them down a few times a week as long has they are Secure and have access to water and a heated house for the colder months here is a photo on one of my redfoot enclosure. Shade is super important I do live in more of a costal area but bottom line California is definitely humid enough.

Attachments

• F85BD6C9-88D4-4A47-8204-5CFD44B327B9.jpeg
    F85BD6C9-88D4-4A47-8204-5CFD44B327B9.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 8
  • 85AACF24-5E74-4AE5-A007-C18928617347.jpeg
    85AACF24-5E74-4AE5-A007-C18928617347.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 5

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
With a little added water spray it can be done. Misters, sprinklers, or just hosing it down will raise humidity. One of the best and probably biggest RF breeders lived about an hour from SD. Lots of plants and daily water spraying.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hay I have over 40 redfoots out side in San Diego. SanDiego Diego is surprisingly more humid then you think is 60-79% depending on the time of year witch is plenty for adults I have them in my yard and I spray them down a few times a week as long has they are Secure and have access to water and a heated house for the colder months here is a photo on one of my redfoot enclosure. Shade is super important I do live in more of a costal area but bottom line California is definitely humid enough.
How many have you observed other than yours in other parts of CA farther from the coast?

I'm not saying it can't be done. I have seen it done successfully, but with a tremendous amount of time, effort, and resources compared to other more suitable species. 99% of the time it does NOT go well in CA. I'm glad to know you are an exception, but I don't think recommending this species to people in dry climates is good for the animals.

LeChef

San Diego, CA USA
How many have you observed other than yours in other parts of CA farther from the coast?

I'm not saying it can't be done. I have seen it done successfully, but with a tremendous amount of time, effort, and resources compared to other more suitable species. 99% of the time it does NOT go well in CA. I'm glad to know you are an exception, but I don't think recommending this species to people in dry climates is good for the animals.
Yeah I was thinking this as well, I’ve seen people acknowledge they don’t keep certain tortoises in Florida because it’s not a desert environment. And though some people keep testudo tortoises in more humid places I would think they’d be thriving more in a dryer area like in CA. For the sake of the redfoots I’ll stick to Russians, though expensive, very cute and I’ve had experience with them before. But it’s really cool that you’re able to keep the redfoots well and happy here as well!

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
Depends on which part of SD. for example La Jolla and Temecula are 2 different worlds lol