Outdoor Redfoot enclosure

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
May I ask why the cement pavers? Not a negative question, just being curious. :)

M249saw

Brooksville,Florida
Just there to hold the weed fabric down until I put the substrate in. Don't want it blowing away and didn't want to put the metal stakes in.

What are those pieces of wood you used? Also how high is it and how did you put those round prices together? I'm just wondering because I'm about to build an outside enclosure for my box turtle and I like this design.

M249saw

Brooksville,Florida
The main enclosure is 8 foot landscaping timbers, Lowes and Home Depot sell them for about $3 each. The top cap is 1x6 to provide a lip so they can't climb over. Height is about 1.5 feet. Cost just under $200 with the other materials for the lid (wood, mesh, hinges and latches.

I split the covers in half to make them easier to lift. Haven't put them on but they look like this

Attachments

• 20150408_110452.jpg
    20150408_110452.jpg
    369.1 KB · Views: 40

M249saw

Brooksville,Florida
As far as the landscape timbers, if you leave them 8 feet long and do an 8x8 enclosure you shouldn't have to cut them. Just bury the first row at least halfway in the ground and then stack them like the old Lincoln Logs, alternating overlaps on the corners.

M249saw

Brooksville,Florida
Each row is screwed to the one below it by 4" decking screws, 1 at each corner and two in between. Alternatively you can use 2x4s in the corners to anchor it but two of us had trouble moving it at 2 rows high, it's not moving at 4 rows.

M249saw

Brooksville,Florida
And I've only seen them sold in 8 foot sections. For 12 foot you could do 1x8s in 12 foot sections then just secure them to buried 2x4 or 4x4s I'm the corners and one every 3 feet.

MikeCow1

5 Year Member
Orange County, CA
I used the same timbers for my box turtle enclosures. I connected the bottom three by drilling holes all the way through by either end and then driving a 24" rebar through and deep into the ground. The top piece was connected using the 4" deck screw.
003.JPG 004.JPG

M249saw

Brooksville,Florida
That was my original plan as that's how I built my raised planter beds at my cabin in Tennessee so I didn't have to dig into that damn clay. With 4 rows plus the lid, it's not moving.