Outdoor setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SE Michigan
So in hopes that I do get my tortoise soon (Tim/Robin showed me to someone that has them, thanks!)

The outdoor enclosure I plan to do is 10x6 ft. So to check the sun and shade in the area I plan to build, I "drew out" the enclosure with sticks.

I then checked outside every hour to see the sun and shade in the "enclosure" (again sticks lol). It seems from 8am-Noon there is little to no sunlight at all in my enclosure area. I happen to be unlucky on where I have space. On the left of the enclosure, I have a 6 ft wooden fence (no light can get through). And then on the right, I have a gigantic tree in my backyard that blocks the sun in that direction.

So it goes something like this (there will be 2 microsoft paints! Don't diss the paints haha!)
EnclosureFenceTree.jpg

Then here is the diagram of how the enclosure will get sun throughout the day. The left side of each box is near the fence, and the right side of each box is near the tree. And the "ft" are how much ft of SUN there is for that hour.

TortoiseSun.jpg

Do you guys think this will be enough sun throughout the day? Basically for 6-7 hours there is sun in there. I may be able to cut some branches off the tree to bring the sun in earlier. (The sun basically goes over my yard), which is why there is little to no sun until Noon. It rises over the tree (which blocks it until Noon. And then at 6-8pm, the sun is further away from my house that the fence starts blocking it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
I love it!! Way to do your homework and be prepared. You are setting yourself up for success. Remember, hatchlings will not need that big of an area, in fact they can be very, very difficult to find even in a small outdoor enclosure. As long as there are some sunny spots and some shaded spots all throughout the day, you should be fine. Also, depending on your temps, a hatchling may not be able to be outside all day. For the first year or so, be careful with a hatchling, they are very fragile. It really should not be outside unattended as a hatchling (at least that is our opinion). :)

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Tim/Robin said:
I love it!! Way to do your homework and be prepared. You are setting yourself up for success. Remember, hatchlings will not need that big of an area, in fact they can be very, very difficult to find even in a small outdoor enclosure. As long as there are some sunny spots and some shaded spots all throughout the day, you should be fine. Also, depending on your temps, a hatchling may not be able to be outside all day. For the first year or so, be careful with a hatchling, they are very fragile. It really should not be outside unattended as a hatchling (at least that is our opinion). :)

Oh I do not plan on taking him outside except in his mini 1.5x1.5 ft tort table that I will sit on one of my patio tables for the first 1-2 years of his life. And only bring him outside when he's under 2 years for 1-2 hours a day when the weather is nice, sunny and warm and of course under supervision >:). He will not escape my wrath, erm I mean my care!

The big enclosure is for when he of course gets bigger. The 1.5x1.5 will last 2 years i think (just for taking him outside) And with michigan weather, he probably won't actually live out there, ever. But if I can get him as much sun as possible I think all should be ok. Plan is to take him outside for the 6-8 hours of sunlight, weather permitting everyday. Once he is well established and I know he's OK.

I am glad it will be enough sun though. I may end up cutting some branches anyways as they are drooping very low anyways.

I didn't want to build a "median" outdoor enclosure and then the big one. But I will probably make it so I can split it up if needed, especially if he decides to obliterate one side of the enclosure by eating everything in one spot lol.

His indoor will be a 4x1.5 enclosure. And then to a 8x8 ft indoor when he gets to be too big for that one. Hopefully I can start this stuff soon. But I am still cleaning out my basement from when it flooded last weekend. I guess it gave me an excuse to clean everything. Got about 10 bags of things to donate to the Salvation Army nearby.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Sounds great. You will have one spoiled tort!! Good job.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
That is awesome you are planning so much. One thing however to remember is that no matter how much you plan, changes will need to be made after you get the tort--they are just like that. Guessing you know that but just a reminder. :) Best wishes.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Your plans sound great. I also have an enclosure with a fence on one side and a large tree on the other, so they really only get direct sun for one or two hours a day at most mid-day, but it seems fine. I put a large rubbermaid container with a cutout and also some leafy plants for them to hide in or under. They will choose their favorite spots no matter where you think they want to be. My current pen size is 8' X 6' and provides plenty of space for my two to roam around.

Good luck and we'll be wanting to see pictures! :D

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Greg T said:
Your plans sound great. I also have an enclosure with a fence on one side and a large tree on the other, so they really only get direct sun for one or two hours a day at most mid-day, but it seems fine. I put a large rubbermaid container with a cutout and also some leafy plants for them to hide in or under. They will choose their favorite spots no matter where you think they want to be. My current pen size is 8' X 6' and provides plenty of space for my two to roam around.

Good luck and we'll be wanting to see pictures! :D

Thanks, I like the rubbermaid container idea for a hide. I have a lot of those. And I have plans for lots of plants i'll be growing in there (they better grow anyways!).

I didn't realize it until recently as I guess I never really looked for it. But I live on a corner, and there's a small patch of grass at the corner that has about 100 day lillies. And recently got 2 hostas from a neighbor who had a ton as well. So those will be good i think for shelter as well.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Your plans look wonderful! I can't wait to see the pictures when it is finished. I have hostas and day lillies too. They make the greatest hiding places, and they look great too. The day lillies spread and flower and just look great. Mine sit under the hostas and there are always lots of slugs and those little black bugs....we call them rolly polly's by the hosta's.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Tree and Fence pics to maybe get a better understanding. Along with some Hosta and Day Lillies in my little garden box.

Fence

WoodFence1.jpg

Big Tree a little dark, but it's early morning still

Tree2.jpg

And so you can see the trunk better. The tree's branches droop down way past where that blue lawn chair is. Right next to the Cement the lawn chair is on, is where the enclosure will be. The only other option was Way in the back of my yard far from the house next to the neighbors which I do not want to do.

Tree1.jpg

And then *some* of the day lillies and hostas (I have about a 100 more day lillies in the front). With 2 tomato plants squeezed in there for me :p

HostaLilly1.jpg

And

HostaLilly2.jpg

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
This is similar to my outdoor situation, although you seem to have more shade. I ended up cutting my tree way back which provided much more sunlight to the pen and yard. I think you can make an excellent pen out there, just pick a spot where they can get one or two hours of sunlight each day and it will be great.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Greg T said:
This is similar to my outdoor situation, although you seem to have more shade. I ended up cutting my tree way back which provided much more sunlight to the pen and yard. I think you can make an excellent pen out there, just pick a spot where they can get one or two hours of sunlight each day and it will be great.

Well the spot i'm doing has about 6-8 hours of sunlight (between 1-9 feet of sunlight) each day. As shown in the chart. With 1-9 feet of shade as well. There is never a time when it's ALL sunny.

And he'll have 3+ hide boxes as well once I get things going.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Well the spot i'm doing has about 6-8 hours of sunlight (between 1-9 feet of sunlight) each day. As shown in the chart. With 1-9 feet of shade as well. There is never a time when it's ALL sunny.

And he'll have 3+ hide boxes as well once I get things going.
[/quote]

That will be fine. Mine chase the sun around when they want to be in it, but spend a good portion of the day in the shady portions and under plants. I have one that loves the sun and one that loves to sit under a plant all day.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.