Outdoor Sulcata dog house bedding question

Becky7_RN

Location (City and/or State)
Menifee CA
We recently adopted a 7 year old Sulcata and we made him his own outdoor enclosure: a dog house with a heating element and a burrow. He LOVES his burrow but I know we are going to have to close it off once it starts getting cooler at night. We are in Southern California so it doesn’t get super cold but feel like his heated house would be better. Do I need to put anything inside his dog house for bedding? I’ve read conflicting things so wanted to see what was recommended here 😊
Any tips for outdoor Sulcata’s would be appreciated. Thank you 😊

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
We recently adopted a 7 year old Sulcata and we made him his own outdoor enclosure: a dog house with a heating element and a burrow. He LOVES his burrow but I know we are going to have to close it off once it starts getting cooler at night. We are in Southern California so it doesn’t get super cold but feel like his heated house would be better. Do I need to put anything inside his dog house for bedding? I’ve read conflicting things so wanted to see what was recommended here 😊
Any tips for outdoor Sulcata’s would be appreciated. Thank you 😊
Let me start with: Hello and welcome! :)

Now the bad news... Dog houses don't work. I've tried many times many ways. Lots of other people have tried many times, many ways. They are designed for dogs and what works for dogs doesn't work for tortoises. You will need to build one, or have one built for you, and we will help you.

Many people learn this lesson the hard way. I've seen so many of them die because of people trying to use a dog house. And usually they get sick and have hundreds or thousands of dollars in vet bills, and then die anyway, because the CAUSE of the sickness was never addressed and corrected.

Burrows are great for your area in summer, but in winter your new tortoise is going to need a properly insulated and heated shelter. Nights are already getting too cold, so its time to block off the burrow entrance when he's above ground. I use a sheet of plywood with cinder blocks around the edges.

Set your night box thermostat to 80-82 in spring and fall with warm sunny days, and set it to 86 in winter. I unplug it while they are using the burrow in summer.

Here is another example of a night box that works, and I have a CAD exploded view as well as a parts list if you want them:

Questions are welcome.