Outdoor Sulcata set up almost done. What am I missing?

DawnH

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southeast Texas
Our 4.5 week old Sulcata arrives tomorrow (WHOO HOO!) We have his indoor enclosure pretty set and I just got done with the outdoor "space." We have an x-pen we will also set up for some grazing in the lawn while we are outside but I also wanted something a little more "secure." (I bought the biggest kiddie pool they had.)

In the topsoil part I have seed that was planted from Sulcata Food and given that I am in Texas, the plants in it so far were just stolen from my flower beds (everything at the nursery is dead.) I will be replacing the screen with something solid for deep shade and making a top out of chicken wire. He/she will be roaming in this during the day (weather permitting) and the last photo is my view during the day (I work from home.)

What am I missing? Any thoughts? I know it will change and grow as time goes on but any input would be great.

I also have two large containers filled with the seed mix. My thought was to have one in his enclosure inside the house (when ready) and rotate the two so he can forage in it to his/her heart content.

Thanks!

Attachments

• tort.jpg
    tort.jpg
    334.5 KB · Views: 141
  • tort1.jpg
    tort1.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 163
  • tort2.jpg
    tort2.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 150

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Not bad. It seems ready to me.

Just make sure to keep an eye on the temps. Even once the screen is replaced for something solid, if that is in direct sun it could still get pretty hot under that. Usually having that shaded part in shade itself (double shade) makes a BIG difference!

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Thanks so much Heather! Right now it is situated to get the morning light. One half will hit shade around 11am. I don't want to bake him/her in this horrible heat. I will monitor it like crazy to make sure he has some humid/shady areas. I DID mix some coco coir in with the topsoil so it holds moisture better. I should add that I have a stand mister (well, three of them) - we use one for our chicken coop and I thought putting one of the other ones near his outdoor oasis would help as well.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with Heather. Babies can over heat quickly. Also, make the water dish level with the top of the substrate. Otherwise looks like your ready. Enjoy:)

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Awwww! Thanks guys! I am so excited. I will be 44 on the 12th and this is my birthday present to ME. :) I feel like I am preparing for a new baby, so much to learn and take in. You guys have been VERY patient and super helpful. Thanks again.

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
I love the view from your home office! :) And I'm amazed you have managed to keep plants alive....I only lived in Texas for 3 years, and I killed everything by this time of year!

Happy early birthday! Enjoy your baby! Can't wait to see pics.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
DawnH said:
Our 4.5 week old Sulcata arrives tomorrow (WHOO HOO!) We have his indoor enclosure pretty set and I just got done with the outdoor "space." We have an x-pen we will also set up for some grazing in the lawn while we are outside but I also wanted something a little more "secure." (I bought the biggest kiddie pool they had.)

In the topsoil part I have seed that was planted from Sulcata Food and given that I am in Texas, the plants in it so far were just stolen from my flower beds (everything at the nursery is dead.) I will be replacing the screen with something solid for deep shade and making a top out of chicken wire. He/she will be roaming in this during the day (weather permitting) and the last photo is my view during the day (I work from home.)

What am I missing? Any thoughts? I know it will change and grow as time goes on but any input would be great.

I also have two large containers filled with the seed mix. My thought was to have one in his enclosure inside the house (when ready) and rotate the two so he can forage in it to his/her heart content.

Thanks!

I see a few things to point out... because thats just what I do... :p

1. I'm no botanist, but aren't you supposed to cover the seeds with just a quarter inch of soil or so? That's what I've been doing, somebody please tell me if I've got it wrong!
2. When I hear "x-pen" it makes me think of a puppy x-pen, as in the portable wire hinged panels. I don't like those because the torts can see through them. I prefer a visual barrier of some sort. I couldn't tell from the text if the x-pen and kiddie pool were the same thing, or two different things. If the kiddie pool IS the x-pen you are referring to, then never mind... :)
3. Replacing the screen with something solid will make for oven like conditions in full sun. The sun will beat down on whatever you put over that spot and that heat will radiate down and because its all closed in, it will get HOT. Your shade needs to be raised up so there is airflow between the shade object and the enclosure. Think of an overhead umbrella or tree canopy.
4. Predators, including dogs, can get through chicken wire pretty easily. May I suggest either hardware cloth or welded wire? Much sturdier.

The rotating seed containers sound great!!!

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
... just when I think I deserve a medal.

*sigh*

1. I used my fingertips and gently mixed in the seeds with the soil. I then watered like crazy. This has worked for me in the past with other seeds, I shall post when I kill these ones though.

2. DAMMIT!

3. I was thinking of putting it under our Crepe Myrtle with maybe even an umbrella over that half as well. OH! WAIT! I could trim the Crepe Myrtle and make a nifty shady/airy area out of the branches as well.... Hmmmmm.....

4. 2x2's, formed into a square, "L" brackets on each corner, both sides to offer stability since it will be moved a lot, hardware cloth attached...

I do want to point out I got THREE EXCLAMATION POINTS on the "The rotating seed containers sound great" comment. PRAISE GOD because that took me off the ledge!

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
The only suggestion I have is to have a cover for it, if you you get a lot of rain in a short period of time it may flood. You could get another pool of the same size and hold it in place it upside down with some small clamps to keep it from blowing off during a storm.

lightsout2184

5 Year Member
Not to start any concern and maybe Tom can way in but are those plants tortoise safe. I believe the one is a vinca some lists have it as a no go. On others its not listed.

The mexican heather should be fine.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
lightsout2184 said:
Not to start any concern and maybe Tom can way in but are those plants tortoise safe. I believe the one is a vinca some lists have it as a no go. On others its not listed.

The mexican heather should be fine.

I would agree on the plants. I was looking to see if anyone commented on that. But you did...

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
I TOTALLY appreciate you "starting a concern"!! To be honest I saw it in another tortoise set up and "assumed" (yikes) it was safe. It says some parts can be toxic so it will get pulled. I know the Mexican heather is a go though. THANK YOU "lightsout" !