Outdoor Summer Night Box

PSLIMO

5 Year Member
Hi Guy's,

It's time for Shelly to enjoy the summer months outside. I'm going to use the shell of a precision pets dog house and use additional foam to insulate and cover with plywood on the inside.

It's 45" L x 26" W x 27" H and should be easy to add a hinge door for night time.

5095721.jpg

My question is:

The outside has a nice look to it but has a strong cedar odor. Should I have any concerns about that?

Thanks in advance,

Phil

Last edited:

Alex C

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hi Guy's,

It's time for Shelly to enjoy the summer months outside. I'm going to use the shell of a precision pets dog house and use additional foam to insulate and cover with plywood on the inside.

It's 45" L x 26" W x 27" H and should be easy to add a hinge door for night time.

View attachment 291518

My question is:

The outside has a nice look to it but has a strong cedar odor. Should I have any concerns about that?

Thanks in advance,

Phil

Consider “New Age Pet” dog houses with “Thermocore” (insulation). They are made with ECOFLEX a wood and plastic composite... It will not rot like wood... They offer a 10 year warranty on their outdoor products...

Alex C

Location (City and/or State)
California
Consider “New Age Pet’s” dog houses... They have an insulated series made with insulation... ”Thermocore”... Their products are made with ECOFLEX a composite made out of wood and plastics... They guarantee their outdo products for 10 year...

PSLIMO

5 Year Member

Unfortunately I already bought the Precision Pets dog house and I still like the looks of it. It won't work as is for a tortoise in my area even on some summer nights, It has a slatted floor with 1/2" openings every 1" and would be impossible to evenly heat.

I started to convert it to be a Tort friendly home and took a few pic's along the way. The thin open flooring was replaced with 1" planking and the inside was insulated with 1" foam board. A piece of plywood was added to the floor and screwed to the planking sandwiching the insulation between. In the third picture I started the fiber glassing of the inside making it waterproof and easy to clean.

Any input is appreciated as this is my first go at an outside enclosure. I just didn't want it to look like a plywood box.

Phil

0.jpg2.jpg3.jpg the insulation