Outdoor Tortoise Enclosure Fence

JOREK Sulcata

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
Hello, Bogart, our 100lb sulcatta currently has a 32’x32’ outdoor “fenced” in area which we want to replace with a larger area almost twice as big. When we got her, already full grown we were told her fence could not have holes or gaps which would allow her to see outside her area because she would attempt to escape to eat the “greener grass on the other side”. So her current enclosure is made of two foot high plywood which has no gaps anywhere. It was a lot of work for me to install and I am looking to find an easier solution for the new enclosure. I got some regular wood fence quotes, but there will be some gaps at the ground and definitely at the gates.

My main question is; do sulcattas truly try to escape if they can see beyond their enclosure?
Also, does anyone have any enclosure fence ideas for a approx 50’x50’ area?
Last one, does anyone have a “house” idea for a large sulcatta? All insulated dog houses seem too small.

Thanks!
Bogarts dad

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Some will try some wont.. depends on the individual ( i would just go without the gaps. Ur cheapest way out would be plywood cut into 16 inch strips with 4x4’s or 2x4’s sunken 2 ft into the ground to screw or nail ur plywood to. That gets u 24 ft per 4x8 sheet of plywood. Paint the plywood with a good outdoor paint to make it last longer. Hope this helps

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
CMU/cinder blocks are probably the most cost effective and longest lasting.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I used 16' corral planks on 4'x4' posts. For a full grown sulcata I went four planks high.

Dudley 07-27-14.jpgDudley's track 10-8-14.jpgDudley's up in arms a.jpg

Last edited:

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
1674955039648.pngThis shed was outfitted for my 100+ Sulcata...it's 20'x12' heated and insulated. 100_0087.JPG
there is a "sleeping box" with an Osborne heat mat in it...100_0782.JPG
This heater helps keep the temperature at a steady 85 degrees...100_0781.JPG
and a doggie door for ease of movement100_0801.JPG
My pens are made using cinderblock and 3 ft cedar fencing.100_0775.JPG
Part is the cedar fence100_0769.JPG
Mary Knobbins plays with the tires...1674955037563.png

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
CMU/cinder blocks are probably the most cost effective and longest lasting.
Id agree longer lasting. But cost effective and the amount of manual labor would suck cactus pads for that size enclosure lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Id agree longer lasting. But cost effective and the amount of manual labor would suck cactus pads for that size enclosure lol
I don't agree. The labor part is no big deal. I've laid out 1000s of blocks 3 and 4 blocks high and run through dozens of leather work gloves in the process. I bought a truck load of 11 pallets at one time, plus all the ones I already had, and I've set them out, removed them, and re-set them many times over the years. It actually goes pretty quickly.

The problem is that unless you mortar them in and make them permanent, a large sulcata will knock them over and escape fairly easily. Ask me how I know this...

Your post and plywood idea is the best way I know to do it for sulcatas. Same basic premise with Yvonne's planks.

@JOREK Sulcata
Minor gaps here and there, like around the gates, are not a problem. You just don't want something completely see-through like chain link or hog wire for a sulcata. Some species seem to be able to live behind that with out injuring themselves, but not sulcatas. Gaps on the ground should be remedied with dirt, and maintained over time.

Here are the night box threads for you:

Dog houses are designed for dogs. You are correct that they don't work well for tortoises.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Habitat for Humanity Restore sells cinder blocks for $1. Every 6 months or so, I change the pens around so the grass can rest...I am 78 years old...and it's nothing to moving them around. Those photos were taken a couple of years ago, Mary K is now in pens that are 3 high with the block. She gets on her back legs and simply uses Sulcata strength to pound against the top blocks and eventually knocks them over. But because she is my only big tort I pay much more attention to her and am able to catch her before she creates a hole...I pound iron posts in or t-posts in a spot that she favors until I change them around again..I'm just grateful she doesn't dig...