Outdoor Tortoise Enclosure Ideas

Tortoise Man

I have two tortoises. One is a Sulcata and the other is a Leopard. I heard that they are not SUPPOSED to be together. I decided to build an outdoor tortoise enclosure for several reasons, not just the separation part. Is there any ideas or necessary supplies for this to happen. Post some pics of your tortoise enclosure or give me some cool interesting ideas. Thanks

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
Exposure to the outdoors would be great for your tortoises. Most of us start by taking our tortoise out on nice days to get an hour or so of sun and exercise. Then gradually give them more outdoor time as the get larger. Here is a recent thread that I found that shows a simple sunning enclosure that can be used until your tortoises are ready for a more permanent enclosure. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/simple-sunning-enclosure.104351/

If you search the forum for "outdoor enclosures" you will find lots of creative examples of tortoise enclosures.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
One of our moderators, Jacqui, has put together a nice thread showing pictures of many of our members' habitats. You'll find the two threads (outdoor and indoor) at the top of the "Enclosure" section.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

The best news is, you have many options in creating an outdoor enclosure.
Good luck.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
i would change the substrate. that substrate can't hold humidity well and baby torts need at least 80% humidity.

That is actually my favorite substrate for both of those two species, but I keep it damp.

Hey Tortoise Man, Have you seen these yet?
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
i had that substrate before but i could never get it to stay moist. do you mix it with other stuff?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
i had that substrate before but i could never get it to stay moist. do you mix it with other stuff?

No Sir. I make it 3-4" thick and pour water over it. The stuff on bottom absorbs water like a sponge and the top layer remains somewhat dry-ish. I used in in open topped enclosures years ago, but it works really well in the closed chambers I've been using for that last few years.

Tortoise Man

Thank you for all the help. I love the ideas and enclosure, but what do I do about ten digging. I know tortoises dig so I would have to bury something in the ground to keep them from getting out.

M

Maggie Cummings

Tortoises do not always dig. I have 17 yr old, 100 pound Sulcata who has never dug an inch in his life. Your babies are too young to spend any length of time outside. They need protection for the weather and predators. So something like those hatchling enclosures with wire lids that Kathy showed would be your best bet. But those babies won't be able to live outside for 3 or more years, in my opinion. You can take them outside for periods of sun now, but don't leave them out. And I am too tired now to give my usual lecture on mixing species. Even if they come from the same continent they can pass diseases to each other. So it's kind of a crap shoot, will one make the other sick, or not. You willing to take that chance?