Outdoor tortoise house in UK

Tank the sulcata

Location (City and/or State)
Wales
Hi, my African Sulcata tortoise has recently just been moved into his new outdoor enclosure and I thought I would share it. His previous house was quit a good enclosure but unfortunately the roof to the building where his house was had to get re done and rain got to it and destroyed his house. Luckily this was during the summer so I had plenty of time to sort out a new house for him. I wanted the new house to be insulated a lot better so I used 2 inch PIR insulation boards. Insulation boards have been placed in the roof, walls, floor and above his ceiling. The new house needed to be water proof just in case if any rain did get to it (which is unlikely now).

65766715-E843-4243-8113-909AE18D9269.jpeg
This is Tank about to enter his new enclosure for the first time. He seemed very curious about this new house. He went into it, then left and walked around it about 4 times before finally going back in and staying inside.
The enclosure it about 4 inches off the ground so it is not touching the cold concrete and if any water turns up it will not ruin the bottom off the house. All timber used is treated timber and has had an exterior coat applied so hopefully no water or moisture ruins the timber.
The ramp in the image is detachable so it can be replaced should it need to.

5FBC9027-94EC-4C1F-A91D-A65AC289CD73.jpeg

This is the inside currently, I will be adding some various things inside it. Probably some rocks, not really sure what else to put inside unless anyone has any good suggestions :). He has a UVB strip light and a basking heat bulb at the end of the enclosure. Another heat source he has is a heating tube which is used for preventing frost in greenhouses. It is not a powerful heater at 120W but it has provided quite a lot of heat to his enclosure, low power and provides a good heat source. Currently the heat at the end of his enclosure has reached 27 degrees Celsius and by his front door it is around 22 degrees celsius.

EB26AD58-FED7-4CB4-A3EE-8C874E116ACB.jpeg

This is the side view of the house. For the roof I used a plywood base with timber around the outside and insulation on the inside. Closed it off with another sheet off plywood and then painted in with exterior paint, added roofing felt to it and then added roofing shingles to the outside to ensure the roof is thoroughly water proof. The top roof cap is removable.
FFC3C37E-288F-4AC4-A7E4-323DE7C7CFBE.jpeg
This is the ceiling off the enclosure, I have used two braces for the roof to rest on and to prevent the roof from bending over time (each roof side weighs 45/50kg each). There is a brace in the centre of the ceiling to prevent the ceiling from bending inwards. Under the two platforms (with the handles on) are the heating tube and the strip light. It is very easy to remove and replace anything should anything break. Under the box is the heating lamp, every thing is easy access so if I am not around one of my family member can replace any bulbs if needs be.
61E5BDB5-FD3C-487B-B887-57B7BC64E349.jpegF495F1DE-097E-423C-B3D6-EED76D20E9C8.jpeg
This is the ceiling with bits of insulation placed on top just to provide the enclosure with even more insulation. I used Two 500N Gas struts on either sides of the ceiling to make it easier to lift due to its hefty 50kg roof. Both struts hold the roof up so I can do whatever I need to in his house.

Hopefully this new house will last Tank for quite a few years to come. It is all interlocking so everything can be removed with ease for when I move house in the future. I hope you guys like the house and if there is any questions about the house feel free to message :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
This hide/house is inside a heat garage or greenhouse?
I would not add anything like rocks to the house.
Also what is the substrate? You could leave it just the wood floor or orchid/fir bark. The stuff you are using looks like cedar which is poisonous or something that could mold easily.
What size is the house? Looks/sounds very well built.

Tank the sulcata

Wales
This hide/house is inside a heat garage or greenhouse?
I would not add anything like rocks to the house.
Also what is the substrate? You could leave it just the wood floor or orchid/fir bark. The stuff you are using looks like cedar which is poisonous or something that could mold easily.
What size is the house? Looks/sounds very well built.
Hi, the house is in an outbuilding. Not heating, just in there sheltered from the wind and the rain also it easy access to plugs.
No the bedding is not cedar, it‘s Aspen bedding. I’ve used it for the past year and it‘s been quite good. I did think about leaving him on the wood floor, but with him peeing and pooing I thought it might be more of a hassle to clean so just kept the aspen bedding.
Thanks for the reply :)