outdoor tortoise in FL

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So FL
Hello,
I live in Palm Beach County, South Florida. Which tortoises would do best living outdoors year round in relation to humidity and temperature?
I would like medium at large not huge like sulcatas. 10-18 inches seems right. At what size can they comfortably live outside without a cover? I have a large yard and can give them lots of room if the area doesn't need to be covered.

Thanks, Charlie

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Charlie:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

I think a redfoot tortoise would be ideal for your location. And we have a few folks here on the forum that raise and sell them. If you look through our archives in the "for sale" section you can note down some of the names and contact them.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Whatve' you described a red foot would fit perfectly they have lovely personalities...AND I ONLY ONE LOL!

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Charlie,

I think we may have exchanged emails a few months ago. I agree, a redfoot would be ideal but not hatchlings due to predators. There are some larger northern redfoots listed on Craigslist that you may want to check out. They are slightly pyramided, but would benefit from being put outside. They also appear large enough not to be easy prey. Good luck!

Allegra

Status
Not open for further replies.