Outdoor tortoises in Sweden

Korall

Location (City and/or State)
Sweden
So, this is a continuation of the box turtles in Sweden where I asked if it would be possible to house box turtles outdoors during the summer in Sweden.

But I am now moving the discussion to here, so that tortoises also can be discussed, because I had other ideas regarding the housing of turtles and tortoises here in Sweden.

Korall

Sweden
So, some ideas and questions:

What tortoises are best suited for cold climates? I'm pondering the idea regarding Russian tortoises, they seem to be rather sturdy as long as they have a place to warm up.

I'm thinking about turning an old chicken coop into a tortoise enclosure, seeing how it's already a building that connects to a outdoors netted area where the tortoises could go inside and outside whenever they want
(Although I might lock them inside during the night or during extreme weather)

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome!

How big is your space? Russians are very aggressive toward other tortoises so unless you have a VERY large space, you'll need to stick to one.

Can you give us some pics of your chicken coop and the outdoor space?

Korall

Sweden
Welcome!

How big is your space? Russians are very aggressive toward other tortoises so unless you have a VERY large space, you'll need to stick to one.

Can you give us some pics of your chicken coop and the outdoor space?

Yeah, il do that when i get home.
I was more pondering what tortoises could live outside in Sweden during the summer climate-wise (With some artificial heat in their shelter), I did also recently see an ad poster for a breeder who sells Greeks nearby.

Geochelone_Carbonaria

10 Year Member!
Southern part of Sweden
So, this is a continuation of the box turtles in Sweden where I asked if it would be possible to house box turtles outdoors during the summer in Sweden.

But I am now moving the discussion to here, so that tortoises also can be discussed, because I had other ideas regarding the housing of turtles and tortoises here in Sweden.

There is no problem of housing even tropical species of tortoises i Sweden during the summer half of the year !

I'e been doing it for some twenty odd years by now...

I always bring them in during the night however and have recently added some extra heat for them outside

/Mike

Outdoor_4.JPG Outdoor_5.JPG

Korall

Sweden
There is no problem of housing even tropical species of tortoises i Sweden during the summer half of the year !

I'e been doing it for some twenty odd years by now...

I always bring them in during the night however and have recently added some extra heat for them outside

/Mike

View attachment 207834 View attachment 207835

What are those in the pictures?
Really nice enclosure you have there.

Yeah, that was why I was thinking about the chicken coop, it can be connected to a building where they can stay at night.