Outdoors: Roam free or build an enclosure?

Maaaars_

Location (City and/or State)
Granada Hills
I have two 4 year old Desert Tortoises.
My back yard is a balance of sunny and shade. Lots of dirt and plants. (I have not identified all my plants yet)
Is it better for them to roam free or be an enclosure?
Roam free durning the day and outdoor enclosure at night to protect from the predators?
Building the enclosure, what size do you recommend?

Thank you.

L

LasTortugasNinja

If you are charged with their care, then it's best to have them in enclosures. Torts are great at exploiting ANY vulnerabilities in their habitat. Remember, they have nothing else to do all day other than eat and plot escape.

As for size, as large as you are willing to build. They will utilize any space offered them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In my opinion, because you have two, and two seldom live peacefully together, allowing them the whole yard is a better choice. That way they can each claim their own territory. Chances are pretty good you will end up with two males and you'll have to fence off the yard giving each one their own part of it anyway.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have two 4 year old Desert Tortoises.
My back yard is a balance of sunny and shade. Lots of dirt and plants. (I have not identified all my plants yet)
Is it better for them to roam free or be an enclosure?
Roam free durning the day and outdoor enclosure at night to protect from the predators?
Building the enclosure, what size do you recommend?

Thank you.
I answered this for you in your other post earlier today.

You need two enclosures. The bigger the better. I like something at least 30x30 for a 6-12" tortoise. At least.