Outside enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
I just started on my outside Enclosure for my Russian and sulcata. I already had an 8x5 area built for my Russian but my parents are allowing me to use the whole 23 foot, in length, area for my sulcata. So, I'm extending both enclosures. I am nowhere being done.
At the end if the area, where my Russian was located, my dad One end for my sulcata, and the other for my Russian. I plan on building an insulated heated box for my 11 month sulcata, dexter. My Russian, ezek, will only be outside during the day. It is currently a mess but will e fantastic when it is done! Suggestions in what to do with it will be gladly accepted. and I will build

Blake m said:
I just started on my outside Enclosure for my Russian and sulcata. I already had an 8x5 area built for my Russian but my parents are allowing me to use the whole 23 foot, in length, area for my sulcata. So, I'm extending both enclosures. I am nowhere being done.
At the end if the area, where my Russian was located, my dad One end for my sulcata, and the other for my Russian. I plan on building an insulated heated box for my 11 month sulcata, dexter. My Russian, ezek, will only be outside during the day. It is currently a mess but will e fantastic when it is done! Suggestions in what to do with it will be gladly accepted. and I will build

Here is the area, sorry it is so dark.
25CD63C8-4C26-47F4-810F-EC4BCF18A86B-6007-0000045565AC2473_zpsb5f8df7f.jpg

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would just make sure that you have it secure from aerial attacks and dig unders....the length is great--as we know torts really enjoy moving around walking and exploring...while I can not see very well in the pic....but I sure would like to see what you end up with (maybe a touch lighter pic :p)....

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
0019E524-8725-428C-9B40-3626A7577BBE-6410-00000497504B5ABE_zpse4c96ff9.jpg

F0812AE9-4D31-40C7-9283-D2ADF16260E1-6410-000004975839A95B_zps9425312c.jpg
it
It's a mess but it'll be cleaned up soon.

Greg Knoell

10 Year Member!
Laveen, AZ
You can work with that area and it will become a excellent pen. Russians are very adaptable outdoors, so are sulcatas. However you have the two most prolific tunnelers of the tortoises species that I know of. I've seen Russians on more than one occasion burrow down, under, then out of tortoise pen walls. They will do it without your knowledge while they are under the ground during brumation (winter sleep) or aestivation (summer sleep). Try to keep the russian away from digging along that wooden fence. :)

The sulcata will dig as well, but they usually dig only one tunnel in their burrow, one way on one way out. Russians burrow- more like bury themselves and come back up almost anywhere within a relative distance away. This takes a while, so if you make sure to take your russian tortoise inside at night then he probably wont have enough time to dig out.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
You could search 'heated sulcata hide' on TFO, build it on one end. I think the main thing is making it big enough for him to grow into.
Yvonne has had a nice suggestion which I have used. Line the edge of the enclosure (in your case the fence line) with pavers (I use the 8"x16"). The torts tend to use it as a walkway but burrow elsewhere. This trick may apply more to Russians.
The main goal with Sulcatas is making the fencing strong enough as they get bigger!

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
On both sides I luckily have cement that is 4 inches wide. On both sides of the enclosure.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Blake,
What I have done with my Russian outdoor pen to discourage random digging is to start the digging for them where I want it. By this, I dig up an area in the middle of the enclosure about a shovels depth. I break the soil up to remove big clods. This is on a south facing hill. The Russians are attracted to this area due in part from the easier digging and preferred burrow site,(south facing-hill). I firm the soil with pressure. Once they take notice of this area, I cover most of it with a piece of plywood, leaving the lower entrance exposed for their use. They'll continue to excavate under this and enlarge it, usually not too deeply due in part to the secure roof. In the evening, collection of the tortoises is easily accomplished simply by flipping the board.
My Sulcatas do not dig in their outdoor enclosure. Here I've got scrap pieces of 12"x12" about 2' long with a piece of plywood bridging the gap between them overhead. Again, this provides a nice retreat for the tortoise were he to get too hot.
Hope this helps.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Cowboy_Ken said:
Blake,
What I have done with my Russian outdoor pen to discourage random digging is to start the digging for them where I want it. By this, I dig up an area in the middle of the enclosure about a shovels depth. I break the soil up to remove big clods. This is on a south facing hill. The Russians are attracted to this area due in part from the easier digging and preferred burrow site,(south facing-hill). I firm the soil with pressure. Once they take notice of this area, I cover most of it with a piece of plywood, leaving the lower entrance exposed for their use. They'll continue to excavate under this and enlarge it, usually not too deeply due in part to the secure roof. In the evening, collection of the tortoises is easily accomplished simply by flipping the board.
My Sulcatas do not dig in their outdoor enclosure. Here I've got scrap pieces of 12"x12" about 2' long with a piece of plywood bridging the gap between them overhead. Again, this provides a nice retreat for the tortoise were he to get too hot.
Hope this helps.

Wow, how did you figure this speculation out? This is great! I'll configure this into my work, thanks.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
lynnedit said:
Yvonne has had a nice suggestion which I have used. Line the edge of the enclosure (in your case the fence line) with pavers (I use the 8"x16"). The torts tend to use it as a walkway but burrow elsewhere.

FANTASTIC Tip!!

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Update: I've done more cleaning up, but I have a long ways to go. Their are a lot of rocks and pebbles. But, it's starting to come together. I am in the process of taking out the star jasmine right now.
89141BAA-AA93-4FFE-9D35-3D143A8D627A-17196-00000CBACBAEF32B_zps65b6078a.jpg

E444F48A-4BF5-49D5-BC85-48EBC0232814-17196-00000CBAD5605789_zpsb99bfe3c.jpg

22EF7FB6-528D-45C3-982D-A98F53B43ABC-17196-00000CBADD7DC5B2_zps10c40a53.jpg

And this is dexter roaming around while I was working.
4D9D198C-F7C1-4EF0-883E-60BD658E7FFC-17196-00000CBB76B70F85_zps6204cb3c.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looks like it will work fine for warm summer days, but probably too cool and shady the rest of the year.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
There is 4-5 hours of sun per day during spring. I too was worried last year when I was building the area for my Russian. Do you think it will be insufficient for my sulcata to be out 24/7?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Insufficient? No probably not. Certainly not optimal though. They like to warm up in the early morning sun, and sometimes mine like to be out catching the last warming rays before the sun sets. If they have a warm retreat and the air temps out there aren't too cool, you should be okay. I would use the section you are using now, but connect it to another part of the yard that gets more sun. I wouldn't use an area like this for sun loving species, but that is just my personal preference. It's not really wrong per se, I just prefer a more sunny area for sulcatas. If your indoor enclosure is still good, then this should make a fine outdoor enclosure during the warmer months. Either way, you've only got another 2-3 years before he totally outgrows this area too. :)

I don't want to be a bummer, but I felt the need to bring it up to you. I wouldn't want to be talking about it after you had a problem and no one said anything to warn you of possible pitfalls. Watch those temps out there.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Sorry, I was vague. I meant an insufficient amount if UVB rays. I would love to extend to an area that receives more sun, but I sill live at home and this is what my parents are allowing me to do. I will be done with my teaching credential in 2 years or shorter, so I'll be moved out before he gets too big. I really appreciate the heads up, I always embrace constructive criticism.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Blake, how old is your sulcata? He looks as big as mine, and looks so smooth. My sulcatas are 5 1/2 lbs and 9 inches. They are 16 months old now. What is your sully's weight? I'm just curious.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
My sulcata is 11 months old. He weighs almost 600 grams. I have a thread about dexters stats that I update monthly. He's 5.25 inches long now and 4 inches wide.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
That's what you have to work with, and it will work for the next 2 years or so.
When you move, you will be looking for a place with lots of sun!
It is true more sun, especially in the am, would be ideal, but any sun is good, even an hour's worth!

I believe you mentioned you bring them in at night?

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I will be bringing my Russian in. My sulcata will have a heated enclosure outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.