Outside Pen For My Russian Torts

Status
Not open for further replies.

stano40

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NH
This spring I have started to develope an outside pen for my male and female russian torts.

The dimensions are approximately 20' long by 4' to 6' wide in some areas. I haven't measured it so the measurement is by eye.

The first photo is of the area on what it looked like before I started.

(CLICK ON THUMBNAIL TO ENLARGE PHOTO)

This next photo is of the plants I've started with to plant for my babies.

There are three Hibiscus bush's that will be in the front of the pen, parsley, marigolds, several different varieties of basil, chicory, peppermint, potted chives. Yet to be planted is the johnny-jump-up & nasturtium, which will be in 4' long planters and dug down just a little so they can nibble at them without trashing through them. I've also read somewhere that snap dragon are Ok but I haven't found that link again so I may not plant those until I find them to be OK for the torts.

There will be snap peas planted as soon as I find the wood tomato stacks I need to put up the short fence for the snap peas to grow on. I'm also looking for spearmint to plant in there also.

Still planting, but it's starting to take shape

As it looks today, 4 June 2008, almost everything in place so I can order the Russian Tort Seed Mix to use as a ground cover. That should be adequate for their grazing. The line of rocks you see are going to voer the drip line from the roof and will also provide a different surface for them to walk over. In the far distance is an area I left alone for them. When I was digging up the area and had them out to enjoy the sun they both headed for the taller grass at the far end and really liked hiding in there, so that will remain for them. Also far distance is another hibiscus bush that hasn't bloomed yet. I guess it's a late bloomer.

Also in the planning stages is to dig up some of the grape vines I have growing all over the ground in my garden area. I'll plant those on a short fencing structure (most likely wire strung across several stakes and high enough so the torts can't get stuck on the wire if they crawl under them) just after the drip line of rocks. I have comfrey growing in my compost pile and will dig that out to plant in the pen area also.

So now when I walk out my front door of my home, I'll be able to sit on the steps and watch my torts bull doze under everything I've worked hard in planting for them.

Such is life.

bob/stano40

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:) Looks like you have been doing lots of thinking, planning, and yard work! Your torts are going to love their time outside.

I do have a question, when they scale the brick wall, is the rest of the yard safe for them to be in? Or are you planning on doing something more along the brick wall to keep them from being able to climb out? Or will they only be out when your there supervising?

stano40

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NH
Before & during, this construction I've had both of them out in their future pen. They both quickly showed me the weak spots where they can get out from and those have been fixed to prevent their escape. To date they have not been able to get over the top but I'm sure once everything is done they will show me more avenue's of escape.

They will only be out under supervision until I am satisfied they can not escape or other animals can get to them.

I have been planning on placing a fencing around that area to prevent outside animals of getting in.

bob/stano40

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I forgot to mention in my earlier post, that I really liked the rocks on the drip line thought. :)

stano40

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NH
I always had that in mind to place the rocks there, plus now with planting the grape vines directly behind them it will provide a steady source of water for them. I guess it can be considered a form of irrigation.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
You've been working hard! Looks great!

RTfanatic

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
College Station, TX
A couple of thoughts from my experience with that type of wall. First, they real quickly figure out how to get into one of those V-slots both above and below. Above, they will figure out how to out their feet into a V between stones and will eventually do a pull-up onto the top of the stones. My torts are a little more than 4 inches and I had to add another layer to the wall so they couldn't reach up to that level to brace their feet into. Next, they loved looking into the V slots down below thinking they could squeeze through it by pushing the stones apart. They did it long hours and at first I thought it was good exercise for them but I realized when the smaller ones did it I had a heck of a time pulling them out when their toes where locked into the stones while the bigger ones rubbed the peak of their shell into the upper stones rubbing completely through to the white underlying bone of the shell. It took more than a year for that to grow back color. For most of the larger V-slots I ended up cutting a piece of blocking and shoving it in there to make a more flat wall without the slots...

Status
Not open for further replies.