Outside temperatures in Pennsylvania.

islandtort

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Hi guys,

I have a 4 year old Hermanns. I built an outdoor enclosure for him and I was wondering is anyone knows what the minimum temps are for him to be comfortable for:

1- outside while its sunny
2- outside while its cloudy/rainy

Thanks!

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hi guys,

I have a 4 year old Hermanns. I built an outdoor enclosure for him and I was wondering is anyone knows what the minimum temps are for him to be comfortable for:

1- outside while its sunny
2- outside while its cloudy/rainy

Thanks!
I would say that any temp over 50F and under100F is OK when it is sunny outdoors, assuming the tortoise has adequate shade and knows how to find it.

If rainy and no sun, I would raise the lower temp limit to around 60F. If there are several days of rain and clouds with no sun, and the temp goes below 60F, I would usually bring in any of my tortoises, Hermann's included.

islandtort

Pennsylvania
I would say that any temp over 50F and under100F is OK when it is sunny outdoors, assuming the tortoise has adequate shade and knows how to find it.

If rainy and no sun, I would raise the lower temp limit to around 60F. If there are several days of rain and clouds with no sun, and the temp goes below 60F, I would usually bring in any of my tortoises, Hermann's included.
Thank you! Super helpful. So my tort lives inside but until it gets below 60 I’m pretty much okay to let him enjoy outside every day until sunset, correct? Should I also look for cues from him (like if it’s on the cooler side and he’s in the corner sleeping, being him inside)?

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Thank you! Super helpful. So my tort lives inside but until it gets below 60 I’m pretty much okay to let him enjoy outside every day until sunset, correct? Should I also look for cues from him (like if it’s on the cooler side and he’s in the corner sleeping, being him inside)?
You will find a laser temp gun to be your new best friend, especially outdoors. You can instantly assess by the air, ground, shade & hide temps, besides sun out or cloudy, when to bring him inside. Here in Oklahoma, even though we still have mid-to-high 80s in the afternoon right now, I go more by ground & air temp right around where Houdini is. It's not when the sun sets, it's when it's too cold--like 75 degrees on his legs & carapace.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do not leave outside when night temps get below 50 or even day temps
On wet rainy days they will need a place to stay dry and warm and bask. Wet and cold gets them sick.
Day time if its sunny anything high 60's and above. I have a Russian, similar care. But if its gloomy, like it's been where I am, I will only leave him out for one day and then he goes into his winter enclosure until the sun comes back out for the day. Then he goes back out.