Outside time in cold weather?

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Could I take my baby tort outside in colder weather if I put him in a container with a Hot Hands warmer? I want him to get some natural sunlight, but it's been getting cold.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
About which degrees were talking about?

Tyanna

Wisconsin
And what species of tort? Some can tolerate "cooler" weather than others, and sometimes it'll be 42 degrees outside, but the ground can be 10 degrees hotter with sunlight.

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
My Rowan's a little Cherryhead redfoot.

This weekend we had some 40 degrees Fahrenheit.

Right now, I've got him out since it's in the 70s.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Will the lid be on? A lot of glass/plastics block out UVB, so having some natural sunlight through a container might be a bit ineffective!
If the warmers heat up the whole container enough so that he's feeling toasty (and the degree outside is still reasonable!) I think it'd be okay, but I'm not sure he'll actually get anything out of it! :confused:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wouldn't want them breathing the cold air.

I take my tropical species outside for sun when its as low as 60, but I sun them in black tubs with no substrate. In direct sun these tubs et as warm as 85-90 degrees.

Use a temp gun and thermometer early and often if you do this. I closely monitor wind, cloud cover, surface and carapace temps when I do this. It is only worth doing mid day, since there is little UV in winter sun in the mornings or late afternoons.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
If I recall your in Dallas area? Were perfectly fine for outside time right now during the day. At night and morning I wouldn't take him out.

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
If I recall your in Dallas area? Were perfectly fine for outside time right now during the day. At night and morning I wouldn't take him out.
Yep, I'm in the Dallas area.

I love taking him outside and getting to watch him walk around.