outside

Status
Not open for further replies.

babascots

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
i take my torts outside periodically to get sun and just to play, but i always worry about birds and other animals like cats or something getting ahold of them, am i just worring too much or is this something to be concerned with?...im moving soon and when i do i plan on making a pen for them so i can leave them outside on warm/sunny days...

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
Of course you always need to worry about predators. If you feel that they might not be safe, I would not leave them out there alone. Just supervise them for now until you get your new enclosure built.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I agree with Dee. I would much rather be safe then sorry. Will be nice once you move and can build a safe secure little world outside for your tort.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its good that you can take the tortoise outside for some sunshine. They really do need it for their physical and mental well-being. What kind of tortoise is it? and what size? Maybe you could find a cheap bird cage to put him in. Place the bird cage on the grass and take out the bottom of the cage, then weight it down with a brick so it can't be tipped over. Unless you have a very tiny hatchling, cats are not interested in tortoises. They might sit there and watch them, but don't try to play with them unless they are very small. You would have to worry about birds and dogs. Raccoons, opossums, etc. are mostly nocturnal, so you needn't worry about them during the day.

Also, don't make the mistake of thinking you can just put him down here for a minute while you run into the house to answer the phone, or whatever...they aren't as slow as you think they are!!

Yvonne

catfish

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
OKC, OK
haha I guess my cat did get the memo about not playing with the tortoise after all. I came home one day to find my 6yr old cat curled up asleep under the heat lamp next to the tortoise. . . and another time sniffing him and then curling up.

Since then, we've made a lid to keep Catfish out of Gazpacho's tank

agiletorts

10 Year Member!
San Jose, CA
It's always good to have your tortoise outside than inside. But consider where do you live, temperature, size of your tortoise and local predators. If you have adults russians, most likely that you need to watch for raccoons and neighbor's dogs.

Also, make sure that they cannot escape their enclosure outside. I think I heard more about tortoises escaping than being mauled by predators.

Status
Not open for further replies.