Over Eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbeilfuss

5 Year Member
Hi,
We have owned our Sulcata Sheldon now for almost three weeks. He is already growing and gaining weight! Yeah! Today we were finally able to locate 100% organic grass hay for his winter enclosure which is currently being built. He came running the minute he saw where the bales were placed outside. Cute to watch at first...then I got concerned.

He started eating, and eating and eating......my concern is: can he over eat and make himself sick? I don't know if I should place a fencing around it to try to keep him away from it???? He ate for approx 10 minutes and finally left-but this was after a full day of grazing in the backyard. He will normally graze all day long without any additional food. I have been placing grass hay in his borough for bedding and he will munch on it over time and then I add some more.....
I don't want him to get sick. I will be home most of the day tomorrow and can keep a close eye on him. I know his routine now and am able to find him somewhere in the yard. Should I allow him to eat from the bales as he wants or block them off?
Thanks,
Desiree

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Hi....10 minutes of munching does not sound like much to worry about :D I think that you will want to keep an eye on him that he does not replace grazing time and exercise with that yummy bale of hay just sitting there calling his name...LOL. Maybe make sure that you are the one that controls the access to the bale...

I know others will likely have other opinions....but I personally have never seen an obese tortoise.....that is not to say some one out there may have a fatty...but generally I don't believe that will be a prob....

Wait for the others to give their knowledge and opinions as well.... :p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I give my adults free access to grass hay year round. Mostly bermuda hay, but also timothy and orchard grass hay too. They eat it year round too, even when they have plenty of other stuff to eat. I don't think they could eat too much, due to the nutritional make up of dried grass. Just make sure he has access to water and uses it. It wouldn't hurt to soak him a couple of times a week for a little while too, just to make sure he's getting enough water with all the dry hay.

Status
Not open for further replies.