Overgrown beak?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanp15

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Great Yarmouth, UK
Hi, my tortoise was in hibernation for just over 2 weeks. It got too warm where he was and before we got the chance to move him he woke up! So he's been back inside under the heat lamps, and I've given him daily baths to try to get him to drink. He won't eat anything except cucumber and a bit of apple, hand fed too! His beak looks a bit long, so would this stop him from eating? I suppose a pic would be good when I can get one, but any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Ryan[/align]

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It sometimes takes a tortoise a couple of weeks to get back to normal after hibernating. Overgrown beaks don't stop a tortoise from eating, it just makes it more difficult for them to bite off pieces of the food. Just wait a bit and give him the warm summertime length of days (lighting) and if he doesn't start eating in a couple weeks then you can start to worry. I suppose you know, that cucumber and apple aren't that good for a tortoise, huh? Is this a Mediterranean tortoise we're talking about?

ryanp15

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Great Yarmouth, UK
Its been nearly a week so I was hoping he'd start eating a bit more now. Think it was Sunday he woke up. I'm keeping him near the lamp for about the same amount of time in the summer, and making sure he sits under it a few times during the day.

Yes I know it's not the best food for him, but I'd rather him eat something than nothing. I've tried other food but he won't eat it yet, which was why I wondered if the beak was stopping him eating. I guess I need to go to a vets to get it trimmed?

Thanks for you help

Ryan

Edit: and yes Mediterrenean tortoise.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
he may be to cold to start eating... and if not getting a minimum of 12 hours of day light.. wont know to wake up..
if he goes back to sleep you dont want any food in the stomach or intestines...

Status
Not open for further replies.