Owner of a baby Herman tortoise

Claire walsall

Location (City and/or State)
Walsall
Hi I am a new mom to a baby Hermann’s tortoise. I have read my hand guide and set my enclosure up. I have got to admit I was not expecting a tortoise that was so small and worry my enclosure is to big. When I first had the tortoise it seemed to be eating sleeping and waking but over the last few weeks is now sleeping and not waking up by itself. If I wake him he seems to eat but then just goes straight back to sleep. Is this normal as I’m worried. Appreciate some advice.

Attachments

• C7D986E0-72D4-4615-961A-16325037089A.jpeg
    C7D986E0-72D4-4615-961A-16325037089A.jpeg
    962.9 KB · Views: 50

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Cute tortoise! Welcome to the forum. Congrats. Hatchlings do sleep alot. Do you have plenty of hiding places for him to feel safe?

RatQueen_Irene

Corvallis, Oregon
What a cute little tort c:

While babies do tend to sleep a lot and it might not necessarily be an issue with care, it's good to double check that conditions are comfortable

Hatchlings in particular need higher temps and humidity, and more cover as they feel very vulnerable and exposed, making sure that there's enough that it has the ability to feel semi hidden when eating may encourage it to do so

Here's a caresheet that helps in particular with hatchlings:
Thread 'The Best Way To Raise Any Temperate Species Of Tortoise' https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threa...ise-any-temperate-species-of-tortoise.183131/

And another very good source for hermanns:

Claire walsall

Walsall
What a cute little tort c:

While babies do tend to sleep a lot and it might not necessarily be an issue with care, it's good to double check that conditions are comfortable

Hatchlings in particular need higher temps and humidity, and more cover as they feel very vulnerable and exposed, making sure that there's enough that it has the ability to feel semi hidden when eating may encourage it to do so

Here's a caresheet that helps in particular with hatchlings:
Thread 'The Best Way To Raise Any Temperate Species Of Tortoise' https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threa...ise-any-temperate-species-of-tortoise.183131/

And another very good source for hermanns:
Thank you for replying. This is the first time I have used the forum and it’s good to know people are there to support me. I will have a read of the guides and see how it goes ?? Do you think I should keep waking Rocco to eat or leave him to sleep.

RatQueen_Irene

Corvallis, Oregon
If you leave him be, does he come out late in the afternoon? When my hermann tortoise was a hatchling he woke up around 2pm sometimes, if it doesn't it might be that it's too cold potentially

Maybe some description of your setup and temps would help, or pictures if you have them?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome Rocco is a cutie. Read the caresheets and make sure your temps are not too hot or cold. The humidity is not to dry,do you soak Rocco everyday in warm water for 1/2hr? That should be done with the water being the depth up to where the carapace (top shell) and the plastron ( bottom shell) meet together. Water should stay warm the whole time. Probably one of the best tools you can get. Is a infrared temp sensor gun. They are not expensive and will be vital to taking temps of the soaking water but also different areas of your enclosure. How big is your enclosure? I have never heard of a enclosure being to big. You might be ahead of the game if it's big enough you won't have to get another enclosure soon.
Good pics of your enclosure would be very helpful in us guiding you.Screenshot_20201118-094349_Chrome.jpg

Claire walsall

Walsall
If you leave him be, does he come out late in the afternoon? When my hermann tortoise was a hatchling he woke up around 2pm sometimes, if it doesn't it might be that it's too cold potentially

Maybe some description of your setup and temps would help, or pictures if you have them?

I’ve attached a picture of my enclosure. Rocco seeps in the enclosed area with the lid. The bedding is soil and some sawdust.. After I’ve bathed him i put him under the light to keep warm following that he sometimes sleeps in the little cave but only because he is still a little scared. Generally he eats the tortoise diet attached and fresh leaves. Then goes back to sleep. I rarely see him drink anything ! His light comes on 7am till 10pm
He rarely comes out by himself and I generally wake him to give him a bath. I do hand feed him sometimes as he seems to like it. Once he is awake he is quite active but is always looking for a safe place
Not sure on the temperatures but he always seems cold when I get him out the sleeping area !

hope this helps I appreciate any advise or help to keep my tort healthy

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 42
  • 7E3C2033-5E44-4B0D-9CD4-80DCDBE4CBFE.jpeg
    7E3C2033-5E44-4B0D-9CD4-80DCDBE4CBFE.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 43

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Is the light a UVB light? If that is your only heat source. It is not adequate, they need total darkness at night. So to maintain heat at night you need a CHE( Ceramic heating element). It gives out no light, only heat. You said your not sure of his temperature , that is why a infrared temp gun is so important. You can take there temperature on the shell and surrounding areas but not at their eyes or anyone else's. ? Keep asking questions.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Is it sawdust or coconut coir which looks similar to sawdust?
I wouldn't use sawdust. Unless you know what kind of trees it came from and that the wood was not treated with anything.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
There is a of of old and incorrect information still being passed on by pet shops and breeders and places like Facebook
This is an up to date caresheet for all Med species you'll find useful to help your baby thrive

You'll also find www,thetortoisetable.org.uk a good guide to tort safe foods.

We've all made mistakes starting out but it's important you correct them and get the temps right asap and it's getting colder in the UK, but t's difficult to control temps and humidity in an open table.

My tort is a leopard but I use a che run through a thermostat for night and extra heat. The thermostat will keep temps even. I bought both in The Range for about £50 - they last for years.
For uvb I use an Arcadia T5 HO uvb tube kit - Pets at Home may sell them online, as do other sites, I'm not sure which you; need for Hermanns. (Coil and CFL type bulbs can burn tort eyes so avoid those.)
For basking I use an Arcadia flood bulb cost about £3 -5 online (spots are too intense)
He is a beautiful little tort and there's lots of members here to help you get it right so ask as many questions as you like.

Claire walsall

Walsall
Is it sawdust or coconut coir which looks similar to sawdust?
I wouldn't use sawdust. Unless you know what kind of trees it came from and that the wood was not treated with anything.
Hi the soil I brought was from
Amazon I have attach a screen shot of the order. I am due to change the bedding so if you think a different one would be better I can change it. I’ve ordered a CHE with a digital display so I can up the temperature at night. I will need some direction on the best place to put this I am thinking In the sleeping area. I will read the guides suggested to see what temperature he should be at.
I really should have joined this forum before I brought Rocco as you are all so helpful. Thank you

Attachments

• F0D6E971-5FE8-4611-85FF-451A39C856CE.png
    F0D6E971-5FE8-4611-85FF-451A39C856CE.png
    98.7 KB · Views: 13

Claire walsall

Walsall
Hi the soil I brought was from
Amazon I have attach a screen shot of the order. I am due to change the bedding so if you think a different one would be better I can change it. I’ve ordered a CHE with a digital display so I can up the temperature at night. I will need some direction on the best place to put this I am thinking In the sleeping area. I will read the guides suggested to see what temperature he should be at.
I really should have joined this forum before I brought Rocco as you are all so helpful. Thank you
The sawdust came with Rocco so I only really have this in the sleeping area but not planning to keep putting sawdust in. Could the soil be irritating his eyes as he does rub them a lot. ?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
The sawdust came with Rocco so I only really have this in the sleeping area but not planning to keep putting sawdust in. Could the soil be irritating his eyes as he does rub them a lot. ?
Could very well irritating the eyes. Since the substrate seems correct for herrmans. I would think it's the sawdust. I would get rid of it and use what you have in the rest of the enclosure. What type of light are you using?

Prize007

Alexandria
The enclosure looks to be a fine size for a baby.
My Hermann's was a similar size when he first came to me. He slept maybe 23 hours a day or more for a long time. He would wake up around noon, or I would wake him up to soak and feed him daily.

Re:water It wasn't until he was almost a year that I saw him help himself to water on a regular basis. Now that he is just over a year he spends much more time out, eating and drinking whenever he wants.

Just to share- At the start, I was always concerned he wasn't eating and drinking enough. Weighing him on a kitchen scale alleviated those fears. For the first 3 or so months he was gaining about 1-2 grams a week. Since he was gaining weight, regularly pooping & peeing, and his heat and humidity matched the care sheets I felt like all was well. He is active and healthy at 16 months now, so I think that line of thinking worked nicely.

Hope this helps!

Claire walsall

Walsall
The enclosure looks to be a fine size for a baby.
My Hermann's was a similar size when he first came to me. He slept maybe 23 hours a day or more for a long time. He would wake up around noon, or I would wake him up to soak and feed him daily.

Re:water It wasn't until he was almost a year that I saw him help himself to water on a regular basis. Now that he is just over a year he spends much more time out, eating and drinking whenever he wants.

Just to share- At the start, I was always concerned he wasn't eating and drinking enough. Weighing him on a kitchen scale alleviated those fears. For the first 3 or so months he was gaining about 1-2 grams a week. Since he was gaining weight, regularly pooping & peeing, and his heat and humidity matched the care sheets I felt like all was well. He is active and healthy at 16 months now, so I think that line of thinking worked nicely.

Hope this helps!
Thank you for your post this is exactly how I am feeling and doing exactly the same as you were by weighing and worrying how long he was asleep. After reading the care sheets I totally underestimated the temperatures my baby Herman needed to be at. I have now brought a heater and a thermostat to make sure he stays warm at night. I do have one more question about where to put the heater.I have an open enclosure with a sleep section which has a lid. Do I put the heater inside the sleep area?