Owner of a baby Herman tortoise

Prize007

Location (City and/or State)
Alexandria
Thank you for your post this is exactly how I am feeling and doing exactly the same as you were by weighing and worrying how long he was asleep. After reading the care sheets I totally underestimated the temperatures my baby Herman needed to be at. I have now brought a heater and a thermostat to make sure he stays warm at night. I do have one more question about where to put the heater.I have an open enclosure with a sleep section which has a lid. Do I put the heater inside the sleep area?
What kind of heater? I never used one so maybe another person can weigh in.

I followed the directions from here with great success and didn't use a heater.
From the site:
"...I place the lid on the rubbermaid containers that house our baby tortoises. This helps to mimic the dark, humid refuges the neonates confide in when in nature. The humidity builds up overnight and in the morning it is released when the lids are taken off."

I think because there were several inches of substrate that was warmed by lamps during the day, the lid helped keep the warmth from that in, so it didn't cool off too fast at night.

I bought this so I could track overnight temps. They rarely dip below the upper 60s and so far so good!

Good luck!

Claire walsall

Location (City and/or State)
Walsall
What kind of heater? I never used one so maybe another person can weigh in.

I followed the directions from here with great success and didn't use a heater.
From the site:
"...I place the lid on the rubbermaid containers that house our baby tortoises. This helps to mimic the dark, humid refuges the neonates confide in when in nature. The humidity builds up overnight and in the morning it is released when the lids are taken off."

I think because there were several inches of substrate that was warmed by lamps during the day, the lid helped keep the warmth from that in, so it didn't cool off too fast at night.

I bought this so I could track overnight temps. They rarely dip below the upper 60s and so far so good!

Good luck!
I’ve brought a temperature controller so when it drops below a certain temperature it switches the heat lamp on the sleeping area has a lid with an arch for him to go in the main enclosure.
The heat lamp is quite big so just need some advice on where to install it. Should this be in the sleeping area? My enclosure is attached

Attachments

• CDECEE9D-8FE4-4066-8B2E-828B4257D2DD.jpeg
    CDECEE9D-8FE4-4066-8B2E-828B4257D2DD.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
  • AD6B742D-EAAA-49D0-86D0-BB176DEEF57D.jpeg
    AD6B742D-EAAA-49D0-86D0-BB176DEEF57D.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4