Oxalis or Clover - Whats in your garden???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
Seiryu, regular yellow clover is fine.

purpod said:
G'Day Robyn,

:cool: You are incredibly knowledgeable/resourceful & I just wanted to letcha know that you are very much appreciated! :D

Thanx again,
Purpod :p

Thank you Purpod. I'ts always nice to know you are appreciated. :)

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Hi Guys & Gals ~

I have those clovers with the little yellow flower things too, altho they are outside of my gate; the torties can't get to them.

And trust me, it's my pleasure to letcha know how good you are, Rob! Truly!

Blessings to all,
Purpod

lgdpt

5 Year Member
Corona
I recently found information at the California Exotic Pest Plant Council website. Probably the best written information for the plant. I did find it amazing that the author did not consider Oxalis pes-caprae on his worry list until the late 1990's. He notes the way the plant reproduces across asphalt, since it does not produce any seed.

A lateral runner travels several inches at a time; it is a peculiar fat, translucent organ resembling an icicle, with emergent slender, white, one-inch shoots at the tip. It inserts itself into the middle of an already crowded clump of healthy natives, even into the tight center of a vigorous bunchgrass or rush, where it steadily burgeons, capturing space and light. Its roots compete with the bunchgrass and even with native shrubs such as coffeeberry or coyote bush. Whether this direct competition can weaken or eventually kill a shrub is not established, but it is certain that it will prevent a new generation of that or any other plant at the site.

What does the author recommend for control?

Eradication is difficult and time-consuming because of that bulb. Removing a small infestation in a discrete area is a feasible project. I was able to manually rid it from my garden, which contained many hundreds of oxalis plants, by persisting in removal of the above-bulb parts for four or five years [my emphasis]. Repeated timely removal of top-growth will deprive the bulb of its stored energy. Optimum time for this is winter or early spring just before it starts producing offsets. Placing fingers at soil level beneath the crown and pulling gently but steadily (two hands better) will frequently get the whole taproot, especially when growing in sand. The bulb will probably remain and still have some stored energy to produce more top-growth. A repetition of the preceding operation during the same season will either kill the plant or draw down its energy so severely that one more pull usually effects kill, providing it is well- timed and does not allow time for the bulb to recharge its energy. There is need for monitoring for an additional two years to make certain, as I have sometimes found a single small leaf hiding among other plants, slowly building up its bulb's strength for a comeback.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Travis what wonderful information. I applaud your research and persistance to eradicate this plant for your space. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
lgdpt said:
Robyn, when you pulled it up, did it stay gone? Im reading that its impossible to get rid of the stuff (without poison)because of the bulbs it forms under ground?

Im almost positive its the bad stuff.

The stem going to the roots is very fragile and breaks off easily. The real problem with oxalis is the seed pods. As soon as it blooms, it develops seed pods that are filled with hundreds of tiny seeds. In a small space, if you keep after it, you can get rid of it. Just outside my front door I have a triangular space about 8 or 10 foot square that I have stepping stones and I planted dichondra seeds. I noticed that along with the dichondra sprouts the oxalis was starting to grow, so every morning I brought my little stool and a heavy spoon and sat there pulling up the little plantlets. Eventually I was able to free the area of oxalis. But its persistent. I have to check about once a week to be sure there is no more.

Yvonne

lgdpt

5 Year Member
Corona
Crazy1 said:
Travis what wonderful information. I applaud your research and persistance to eradicate this plant for your space. :)

Thank you. I have spent about one hour per day over the last 4 days pulling these little buggers out of my grass. Im not able to get the roots at all. (Boy is my back sore) I have a feeling this is going to be a LONG summer. But as of today, I dont think my torts can get to any of it.

Im sure by next week it will be back though....

Every single yard in my neighborhood has it in the grass. I walked the block yesterday and saw it everywhere! I will probably have to fight it forever.

What do you all think about spraying to grass with a weed killer right when the torts go into hibernation? That way it would be gone by the time they wake up? After 4 months or more, I would think the poison would be gone....

Too much of a risk?

emysemys said:
lgdpt said:
Robyn, when you pulled it up, did it stay gone? Im reading that its impossible to get rid of the stuff (without poison)because of the bulbs it forms under ground?

Im almost positive its the bad stuff.

The stem going to the roots is very fragile and breaks off easily. The real problem with oxalis is the seed pods. As soon as it blooms, it develops seed pods that are filled with hundreds of tiny seeds. In a small space, if you keep after it, you can get rid of it. Just outside my front door I have a triangular space about 8 or 10 foot square that I have stepping stones and I planted dichondra seeds. I noticed that along with the dichondra sprouts the oxalis was starting to grow, so every morning I brought my little stool and a heavy spoon and sat there pulling up the little plantlets. Eventually I was able to free the area of oxalis. But its persistent. I have to check about once a week to be sure there is no more.

Yvonne

The hard part for me, is its in my grass. I have to look HARD just to see it. It is such a pain....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In my horse pasture, I noticed that there were areas of grass where it grew real tall, and upon closer inspection, saw that those areas have oxalis and spurge in them. The horses don't eat that, so the grass grows tall. I have two pastures. The horses are on one pasture for one week, then moved to the other, and when that week's up, they're relegated to the barn paddock for a week. So the two pastures are watered and allowed to grow for two weeks with no horses. During that time, I spray the oxalis and spurge with a broad-leaf weed killer. After leaving the killer on the grass for 24 hours, you can then water safely. So for two weeks the weed-killer is watered and when its time for the horses to be back on that pasture, its safe for them. Maybe you can fence off an area at a time and spray weed killer, keeping the tortoises off until its safe to go back in there. Then do another section.??

Yvonne

lgdpt

5 Year Member
Corona
Oh good! I can easily do that. I will wait to see what happens from all my plucking and then spray it after I fence it off. Thanks!

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Thanks for stickying this thread. Now we all have easy access to a great thread! Thanks again Robyn!

P

pollcolingwood

Its a good post, has helped me a lot.
Different classifications are given
here. Hence it also gives a clear
identification of seeds.

Annieski

5 Year Member
Edison, N.J.
I thank you too! While at the store I found a box of organic clover SPROUTS--- after reading this info, I just wanted to be sure they were ok to give to Morty.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
maggie3fan said:
Robyn...did you see the think clover in the pictures of Queenie outside? My yard is covered with thick New Zealand white and Crimson clover and all my animals eat clover daily, mixed with dandelions and plantain all growing in the yards. The day lilies are about to bloom and Bob will eat all the blooms there are next is the Rose of Sharon and the grape leafs and blackberry vines. All that stuff is growing in the yard and all my tortoises are eating for free. I love this part of the year for the food and treats that grow. The squash and pumpkin plants are grown simply for the big flowers that they put out for Bob...

I know this is an old thread, but can someone confirm for me that pumpkin and or squash flowers are ok for torts. I walk by a 20-30 acre pumpkin and squash patch daily. The owners have repeatedly given us nearby residents permission to raid their fields anytime we want. In exchange for a few surplus pumpkins we all keep "poachers" out of their fields day and night. Seems like a pretty fair trade to me.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't know what pumpkin has to do with oxalis, :)D) but to answer your question, the tortoises can and do eat all of the pumpkin/squash type plants. Only, if you pick too many of your neighbor's pumpkin flowers, he won't have many pumpkins.

mightyclyde

5 Year Member
California
Well shucks. I looked into it further and found that my mounds of clover with they tiny yellow flowers is indeed oxalis. Hubby will be glad to rip it all out... I've been defending these weeds thinking they were ok for our boys! Ajax has eaten it once, and really enjoyed it. Back to square one. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.