Oxygen during hibernation?

Freddy90

Location (City and/or State)
Austria
Just ordered a fridge online for hibernating my spotted turtle baby.

But what about oxygen in the water?
I read some guides online but they don't mention oxygen...

Does a turtle sometimes move the head above the water during hibernation to breathe ?

Or is there enough oxygen in the water cause it's cold?

Should I put an aerator in the box for more oxygen?

Hope someone can help!
Thank u :)

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i've hibernated water turtles in a fridge , i have been told they don't need to be in water ....... myself i mimicked what i see them do naturally .... this seems to be pretty easy on them ..... to me what they do naturally looks something pretty close to this ...... the water was a constant 38-40 degrees , i put them in in the fall/early winter when their water was 38-40 degrees , and put them back out in the spring when their water was 38-40 degrees and wasn't going to freeze again ......

DSCF3931.jpg

DSCF3929.jpg

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
Does a turtle sometimes move the head above the water during hibernation to breathe ?

they are active for the entire winter , i've seen them basking in every month of the year in plant zone 6a

no , they need less oxygen because they're cold .......... the more O2 in the water the better ........

wouldn't hurt

myself i do use an led light on a timer in the fridge to give them day and night ........

might be easier ways, but these guys never miss a beat when i've done this to them ......

Freddy90

Austria

they are active for the entire winter , i've seen them basking in every month of the year in plant zone 6a

no , they need less oxygen because they're cold .......... the more O2 in the water the better ........

wouldn't hurt

myself i do use an led light on a timer in the fridge to give them day and night ........

might be easier ways, but these guys never miss a beat when i've done this to them ......

I buy an aerator than.
Thank u kind sir :)