Oyster shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
I know allot of the UK folks use crushed Oyster shell in parts of their tort tables/setups. Here in the states I remember buying it in big bags at feed stores for chickens, is this the same thing? I remember it being fairly dusty so im assuming it would need to be rinsed before using it in the tort table.

Anyone over here use it in their tort's setups? Danny?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I've never used oyster shells, much to heavy. :p It is the same thing Anja as what you'd get for chickens. A friend does use it that has Egyptians and it's worked great for him. He does have to rinse it first before he uses it.
I haven't seen many people in the UK using it though.

Danny

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Well I noticed that Sarah recommended it in her store online. http://shelledwarriorsshop.bravehost.com/Substrate.html

I just thought it might be nice to add a small area of it and see how it goes. I dont think I would want to use it for the entire substrate area though. lol Im heading to the feed store now so I will look into it while Im there.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
If you have an Orscheln's around they carry it in small bags that are really handy, rather than the larger bags we normally get for our chickens. They are about the size of a 5 lb bag of dogfood. Nice for the hobbyist with only a couple of chickens...or the parent who bought a chick in the spring for each child.:D

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Nope, all I could get was a 50# bag for $9.99. I went ahead and picked it up and will play around with adding it into enclosures probably later this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.